Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Sarah - I hope you feel better soon
mercygive posted:
(((((Sarah)))))

I just want to say that I am awfully sorry you're not feeling well.

In the midst of my worst psychotic episode I was fully functional but not safe!

You are a dear sweet woman and I want to encourage you and your husband to go back to your doctors and follow their recommendations. Don't despair. I am always afraid of letting my husband down even though he says I don't and I sometimes feel my husband has more credibility than I do with my doctors. BUT, because he is there to speak out, my Seroquel was changed to Latuda and since then I don't live in a fog and I can tolerate a higher dose on Latuda than I could on Seroquel. I don't know if it helps with mania I can't tell whether the medication is working for that or if I'm not symptomatic. I am off and on mildly depressed, but I don't talk to myself and act it out incessantly (well just a wee bit lately) and I am not constantly slammed with negative and paranoid thinking all of that just stopped when I started taking Latuda.

You might ask your doctor if he/she would consider letting you try Latuda. Only problem is, there is no generic and some insurance companies don't cover the medication. It's too bad. I think a lot of people might benefit from taking it if not just for the fact that it is weight neutral. I have to find an independent insurance program and my first priority is to find out if Latuda is covered. Just some things to think about.

Just to add the reason I am looking for an independent insurance program is because my husband wants to look for another job but feels he is tied to his job because of the insurance and me and my medications. I'm on his insurance because my employer doesn't offer insurance. Now, how can I not feel that I let him down or that I am a burden to him. Because independent insurance may be unaffordable, I also want to look for another job that offers insurance but I do not have the confidence to interview. We feel trapped in our situation but not hopeless because we have choices although not the choices we want to choose from.

Stay safe and just remember that God loves you, he is for you and not against you. Keep posting we are here for you too. Lots of hugs sent your way.
A little yoga goes a long way

monkeybee responded:
Mercy,

I am so sorry to hear about your insurance situation. How hard it must be for you and your husband to feel so stuck. I know how you feel about not wanting to disappoint your husband because I feel like I do all the time. He also says I don't though. He is such a wonderful support.

Thank you so much for your concern for me. It brightens my day. I am afraid if I go back to my doctor she will insist on inpatient. She suggests it an awfully lot for me but sometimes, if she thinks it's really important, she will talk my family into it too and then I'm stuck. I just have so much on my plate the next couple of weeks with the kids starting school and I think they don't need the stress of mom in the hospital during the transition either. She is doing a follow up call with me on Tues so I am just waiting until then to talk to her I have decided. If I get any worse, I will just go to the er.

Thank you so much for the Latuda recommendation. I have read up on it and it seems worth the try! I am afraid to bring up meds to her, just feel like it might offend her. Maybe I am just being ridiculous. I will tell her a friend told me about it. You are too sweet.

Thanks again, Sarah

ddnos replied to monkeybee's response:
Hi Sarah, I hope you don't mind my commenting here since this post is directed specifically to you, but I just want to say one thing re something you said......you said that you were afraid to bring up meds to your pdoc because you feel it might offend her. I guess that I just want to remind you that you are not there to take care of her feelings. A relationship between pdoc and client should be that of working together, and you should always feel safe and even encouraged to speak up about your thoughts, ideas, and input about any medication you are taking or that you want to or don't want to take. You are not there to passively take any and every drug that she may prescribe to you. It's your body, not hers. Yes, she is the professional and is the one with most of the medical knowledge on the subject, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't have a say so in the matter. There have been times in the past where I would suggest and/or mention various meds to my doc, and she would either explain to me why that wouldn't work, or she would say something like, "Hmmm, that's a good idea , let's try that" And there have also been times where I refused to take certain meds out of personal reasons, and that is my right. I would never refuse meds overall, but I knew/know enough to know that typically, there is never just ONE medication to choose from for most psychiatric issues; so I would just tell her that no, I do not want to take such and such a med even though she thought it would be a good one to try (this was years ago) But I know my body better than she or any doctor does, and I know what I can and can not take; and as long as I'm not refusing treatment all together, then I am within my rights to refuse (if it's not going to be harmful to me). Also, I will always compromise with my doctor when or if we run into those situations (not often). Meaning, I will not just arbitrarily refuse a specific med without a commitment to accept an alternative plan, which may even include at least trying the unwanted med down the road sometime (when/if all else fails) to see how it goes.

My then doctor always appreciated the fact that I was an active participant in my recovery/treatment; and she respected my input. Likewise, I always respected her. I was not being disrespectful to her by questioning, suggesting, sometimes refusing, and always asking when it came to my treatment because she also believed that working WITH her patients was more successful and more empowering for her patients. That's the level of comfort in communicating and working with your pdoc that I wish for you and for everyone. It has nothing to do with disrespect or refusing treatment - but it's about being a part of and actively involved in your own treatment.

Ok, so my "one thing" ended up long-winded. lol Sorry!

Take care of you!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
Hi Debbie!

I don't mind at all. I am not entirely passive in the relationship. I told my doctor that I wanted to come down to one med and which med I had in mind and she told me that wasn't possible and suggested an alternate plan. I have also told her when side effects are too overwhelming. That said, I don't say things like that often and I have seen suggesting medications as perhaps stepping on her toes. It would seem maybe I am being old fashioned here. I know her and realize she likely won't mind but I don't wish to annoy her (the reason I typically hesitate to call for things between appointments). You make excellent points here and I appreciate it.

Thank you, Sarah

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.