Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
dreaming while awake...psychosis?
jelywi posted:
ok i am having to switch dr's so i can't get in till next month. within the past week or two i have started to dream while i am awake. this is not waking up from sleep and still being in a dream. for example, just this afternoon, i decided to lay down for a while. i heard someone call my name a few times, and when i closed my eyes, i started seeing vivid images and they would occur within a sequence of events. but like regular dreams, i forget them..... and i am not even close to being asleep. it happens if i'm anywhere, and i just close my eyes. i have a bipolar I diagnosis but i'm scared i'm headed into psychosis like so many times before. i'm a little scared but mostly freaked out.

ridetonowhere responded:
hey jeliwi...I am so sorry to are going through that. It certainly sounds real scary!!!

And really, seeing doctors, their appointments are so rediculous. I almost had to wait two months to get into any sort of treatment, but luckily the benefits boss at my work has a very close contact that was able to sneak me in the back door. I was ready to resort to the - im suicidal i need a doc - lie...but then I was scared Id be hospitalized...even though i wasn't suicidal.

Ugh, a messed up system for sure.

Is there any other doctor you can talk to in the meantime? I'm not expert, and I am pretty new to this...however, what you are going through doesn't sound like something you should leave stagnant for an entire month...I would be concerned that it would spiral quickly and turn into something far worse than it could have otherwise.

glennda responded:
I also have had that experience while on chemo drugs. I knew the images were not real, and I didn't let them bother me. It sounds like you need to discuss this withn your Doctor. But establish a plan of what to do in this instance, find a prayer or a poem to repeat. I had an instance which was scary to me and I did repeat "The Apostles Creed" and I found this to be helpful.

hope7951 responded:
jelywi, are you on meds? I've been going through a med change and have had something like this happen to me but chalked it up to a combo of stress, exhaustion, xanax, ambien, just starting prozac and having driven 6 hours and not being able to sleep. I had a couple of days of seeing, hearing things, falling asleep but feeling I was not asleep, talking to people, writing things, eating but not remembering it. Then I'd dream and wake but it would take me a long time in the morning to know which one was real. I'd keep waking up and hearing my husband talking to me in his voice but he wasn't. I went 27 years on meds and nothing like this ever happened to me. Now starting over all these things are happening just like you are saying. I was thinking the increase in xanax and ambien plus other meds were screwing with my head. Joye

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.