Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Ring of Fire/SPECT Scan
hereinmyhead posted:
I have a question for anyone who has heard of either "Ring of Fire" (ROF) ADD or a SPECT scan.

Since others here have posted that they have both bipolar and ADD, I would like to know more about either of the above - ANYTHING anyone can share. My therapist, case manager, and psychiatrist are recommending I consider a SPECT, because this is what they believe is something I have. I know I have ADD. I'm like the ADD poster child, but I'm just starting to learn more about the subsets, and how it seems that there are many people who have both ADD and bipolar, but this stuff is new.

Does anyone know more about ROF ADD that they can help me with? Have any of you ever had a SPECT scan? I don't know why, but I find both a little creepy, so I've been especially anxious about it. I have 2 appointments next week on this, one with my psych, one with my therapist and case manager together.

Thanks, Susie

maiden33 responded:
with a spect scan they will start an IV and inject a nucleotide to look at veins and arteries inn the brain. i have to have a CAT scan with contrast every year so its not the same but thhe procedure is similar (for breast CA) they usually do blood work first to look at your bun and creatiinine to make sure your kidneys are normal to clear the injected stuff. thats about all i know.

hereinmyhead responded:
Thank you, maiden. That helps, because I don't have a clue and when it was presented to me by the dr, I was a little stunned and didn't think to ask. I am hoping to be a little more prepared next week when I go in so I can feel like I have at least a little knowledge regarding what is being suggested.

maiden33 responded:
sometimes ignorance is bliss but it might be helpful to write down your questions, if you can't find them on the internet call the doctors office and ask to speak to the doctors nurse and ask her the questions. good luck with your test, try not to think about it and i'm sure everything will be fine

hope7951 responded:
Similar to a PET Scan, SPECT Scan is a radionuclide is injected intravenously. Tissues absorb the radionuclide as it is circulated in the blood. As a camera rotates around the patient, it picks ups photons, the radionuclide particles. This information is transferred to a computer that converts the data onto film. The images are vertical and/or horizontal cross-sections of the body part and can be rendered into 3-D format. PET Scans (Positron Emission Tomography) and SPECT Scans (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) were first used in the 1970's for research.

The picture I have as my avatar is a PET scan of a bipolar brain in a hypomanic state. You can tell be the presence of reds in with the yellows. A depressed brain in the same person PET scans as blue with some green but no yellow. Normal is yellow and green with some blue. Joye

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.