Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

    *No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Disability Insurance
    seabean1 posted:
    I am severely bipolar and have a borderline personality disorder. I have had over thirty jobs and have had severe anxiety, depression, and manic feelings as long as I can remember. I am utterly exhausted and can no longer endure changing jobs every six months and living in complete misery just trying to make it day by day let alone work an eight hour shift trying to work with people. I have tried all job industries and tried working alone with no one to work with, nothing has worked my mood swings are constant and damage any relationship I try to keep, including my current marriage.

    I know I am on the verge of losing my job because I have way too many absences do to my very low lows but I need to supplement the income to soften the blow on my husband whom has gone through this with me at least 12 times already.

    I need disability insurance but am not sure if my therapist would be able to fill out the physician portion of the claim in order to be eligible.

    bpcookie responded:
    Ive been on disability for over 10 yrs. They may have changed the system, but when I filed my pdoc and tdoc didnt have to fill out any paper work. Have you gotten a Disability Lawyer? I kept getting turned down so eventually I found a lawyer. He only got paid if I won my case and was only allowed to take $500 of my disability check. When I was approved I recieved back pay for the years that they turned me down. I got a check in the mail for $20,000. Now I hear that they dont give you a large check, that they pay you a bit over time. Good luck to you.

    seabean1 responded:
    Thanks, that really helps! I doubt they would give me that much money but the amount is not too much of an issue, just want to help out in the household at least a little bit.
    mc1003 responded:
    You can even start the application online and if you needs help, you go to your local social security office and they will help you, that's what i did and they were very nice. They contacted my regular md, my therapist and my psychiatrist plus i had to fill out a questionnaire about my daily living and what i'm able to do and also another questionnaire for a 3rd party to fill out, that one i didn't return because i was too embarrassed/anxious to ask anyone.

    but even though i turned in some forms late, i was approved on my 1st try,

    I started the app online around October/November and after fiddling with the idea of giving up, i got a letter saying they noted i started the application process online but didn't finish it, i tried going back online to finish it but couldn't remember my info and they sent me some forms and i had to go in and have them help me fill them out, it was regarding work/school history and i really had no clue, could not remember anything, but they were able to pull up info from their computer system about where i had worked and when

    I still thought about canceling it or even returning the paperwork, months later i did return it, and i think i got my 1st check like around May....can't really remember for sure, but it helps that i can pitch in now for groceries at least.

    Featuring Experts

    Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

    Helpful Tips

    Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
    Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    116 of 133 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.