Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
10 ways to p.o. a bipolar
bpcookie posted:
ok, here is my list of 10 ways to piss off a bipolar. Please let us hear your 10 ways.

1. Someone tells you your crazy or nuts.

2. Someone tells you to go talk your tdoc, (because obviously its your problem and not theirs)

3. Someone says "get off your azz and get a job" hhhmmmm good idea, that should cure my Bipolar.

4. Someone tells you that your not really bipolar.

5. Being told "I never said that, you must have imagined it"

6. When your having a bad day and its obvious, your fangs are showing, your claws are out and your eyes are glowing red and yet that is the time that ppl want to bother you the most.

7. Ppl take advantage of your bipolar.

8. Ppl who say that ALL bipolars do this, that, and the other thing, like we are all made from the same mold.

9. When someone says "my spouse/partner left me because THEY were bipolar" its never their own fault, they werent being a jerk or anything, they were totally innocent.

10. When they dont understand what its like to be bipolar and that we can just *snap* out of it any ole time.

So what is your list?

susanm62 responded:
1. When you meet someone or see a friend from many years ago and they ask where you work, and you tell them you are disabled. Then they look you up and down and always say "what's wrong with you!"

2. Someone says "Must be nice to sit at home all day and watch tv and eat bonbons" Like I really want to do that the rest of my life.

3. When I'm having an anxiety moment and someone says "you're fine just get over it"

That's all I can think of right now.

joellelewis responded:
1. You confide in some one that you feel the world hates you. They tell you to "shake it off cause everyone likes you"

2. People say: Docs just use BP as a catchall disease. Don't get caught up into that. MY diagnosis brought me HOPE!

3. People won't just go away! LOL

4. You cannot get close ones to know that you are SOOO susceptible to stress. And if you start getting antsy and yelling, it makes me do that. Please, take your fight somewhere else

5. People tell you to try some herbs

6. People says you "ALWAYS DO SUCH AND SUCH" and completely ignore all the times you tried so hard to change because you knew what you did before hurt them.

7. they never give you grace and mercy - but get furious when you go a BP on them

8. People who say, Oh, well I act like that sometimes too! Maybe I am BP! Like it is something cool to be! Hello! mood fluctuations are a normal part of life for everyone.

9. When people know your hot buttons, and take perverse delight in always pushing them.

10. Commercials - ok, not really

ddnos responded:
1. When someone says, "You know, you can't take medication for everything - you just have to get over it" when talking about medication for depression and/or anxiety.

2. When co-workers assume you can't do something because of course, you're disabled!

3. When you're the co-worker who is "obviously" wrong about a certain job duty because you must be delusional, after all, you're mentally ill.

4. When you show the senior citizen/disabled bus pass to the driver and he/she looks at you like some kind of criminal because you're obviously not a senior citizen, so how'd you get the bus pass?

That's all I can think of right now.

Topaz03 responded:
No kidding, right???? I'm trying to stay positive so I'll read the rest tomorrow but I'm so glad you posted this and the other posters too. It helps me to know that I'm not so alone. Each one I've read so far, I agree with 200% percent and they are so frustrating. I could go on and on and on.................grrrrrrrrrrrr

I just have to say that, comments or people's ignorant viewpoints seem to hurt the most when they come from family whether you are close to them or not, but mabey that's just what I think..........

Oh, no I have one.............the word bipolar is thrown out waaaaay too often, and I'm really getting sick and tired of all the references that people make like, "he or she is acting so bipolar" I've heard alot of people say that. Even one of my dd's friends who was over the house the other day. I got so mad.............but chose to ignore it because I know I can't change the world and I'm trying really hard to save myself the extra aggravation...............I just wish people would make more of an effort to be more understand, or less ignorant. Not just about bipolar either, but in general...............I don't understand why people have to be so judgemental. I'm sick of the stupid songs I hear and the references to being bipolar in the songs. I don't know why it upsets me so much, but it does. Well, I've summed it up as having low intelligence........a small mind....................and not that big of a heart. I believe this. They should have kept Manic Depressive. They just should have. Changing the name for one, but this is just my opinion has not helped us. I get upset. It's not just being "up and down" like too many people say. I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I have this big thing that I have to carry all by myself and people should just be more understanding. I don't want attention and I don't want to quit my job or whatever............but I want people to understand that I have LIMITATIONS. For crying out loud.............some days I just don't feel well and people should understand like if I had a cold or whatever.............

((((((((((((((cookie)))))))))))) Did someone say something to you that prompted you to write this? I hope not. (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) Thank you so much for this post. I'm SO glad you posted this!!!

bpcookie responded:
Susan, number 2 I go through so many times with family members. gggrrrr. My brother is actually jealous that Im on disability and I dont have to work. of course he is a jerk face.

bpcookie responded:
Joell, omg, the try to herbs thing pisses me off, or therapy will cure it.

bpcookie responded:
Debbie Doodles, I havent had the bus pass prob. but I can totally understand where your coming from.

bpcookie responded:
Topaz sugar baby, thanks honey, Im glad I posted this too. I figured ppl could get their problems that they have had with ppl, off their chests.

As for myself, most of the things I wrote ppl have said to me, or I have seen posted on this board by ppl who dont understand and who arent bipolar. I came up with the idea of this post because of something my husband said this morning. I guess Im a bit sensitive, its a bipolar thing, LOL. Anyways I was talking to my daughter on the phone and hubby walked out of the bedroom and I was just ending my conversation and telling my daughter "bye, I love you, MMUUAAHHHH!" so he says "why do you always rush off the phone when I show up?" its like Im hiding something. Since I was sensitive today it made me a bit angry so I said "next time I talk to someone I will come up with some more things to talk about before I hang up, any suggestions?".......hehehehe ggggrrrr

love ya

Cookie

hereinmyhead responded:
Ok, I will limit mine to 10, I promise.

#1 - being introduced to somebody else who is bipolar by a non-bipolar person who thinks that our having this "feature" in common automatically means the 2 of us are exactly alike and will become best pals. PET PEEVE!!!!!

#2 - any assumption that my having a mental illness lowers my IQ 50 points

#3 - the assumption that bipolar means you can't be trusted

#4 - having another medical complaint not taken seriously if the doctor you're seeing is told you are bipolar

#5 - the never-ending stigma that's still alive and kicking for anyone with a mental illness

#6 - when people keep things from you that you have every right to know because they're afraid of how you will react (because you're bipolar)

#7 - being told that you over-react (to anything) because you're bipolar, even if they or anyone else has the same response that you do to the same thing - with you it's always "overreacting"

#8 - EVER hearing "why can't you just get over it?"

#9 - similar to #1, but not exactly the same - having someone find out you'er bipolar, and them saying "oh I have a brother, friend, cousin, half-uncle-in-law-twice-removed, or whatever, who's bipolar too" and they think they know all about you and assume they then know everything about YOUR condition, limitations, challenges, and personal history, etc.

#10 - meeting some self-righteous aloe-vera and crunchy-granola, all-you-need-is-yoga-and-a-clean-colon freak, and having them tell me that's all I need, and if I'd listen to them, I wouldn't be bipolar.

nowandforever responded:
I worked registration in the emergency room and hated the way the staff would treat mental patients who came in for help. Their whole attitude stinks. I don't know if all emergency rooms are like mine but I can tell you I would never go to them for help.

bpcookie responded:
Susie, #4 big time and #8 omg and totally #10. I could slap ppl for #10. I have even seen ppl who visit our board one time and say crap like that. Its like telling a diabetic to just stay away from sugar and you will be fine.

Llama4477 responded:
OMG I agree with everyone! I can't even think of another list because everyone eles was so good.

bpcookie responded:
fuzzy llama, funny llama, llama llama llama duck! Every time I see your name I start singing that song.

mc1003 responded:
though i cna't even remember if i mentioned i was leaving in the 1st place well just in case we went camping again, last beach camping trip of the season. it was cool there, so much nicer than here, and virtually smoke free as you know we've had lots of fires here in california recently....the water was perfect, the beach kind of rocky, but after about a mile hike down the beach we found a spot that was suitable for the kids to get in and play, and me too ...

I did once again get sunburnt, i mean i did take my umbrella, but you didn't expect me to just sit there in the shady sand the whole time did ya? there were lots of surfer eye candy to look at on the beach too and bf was decent enough, though he did drink a whole lot more than he usually does, i hear i was angry and mean, but i don't really care.....

we did lots and lots of hiking, some bike riding, swimming and thrashing about in the ocean, and exploring hiking trails, bbq'd every day, fires and s'mores, kids running about...bf and his friend talking and talking....and me lost in the big big world that resides within my mind....it was a safe trip and a good trip overall.....though i did get the "you have so much to be happy for," and "you have such a good life," speeches, am i the only one who finds that sort of thing condescending? and fuel to the fire?

so i'm back, back here, sitting in my little chair, contemplating the rest of the day....

hop everyone else had a good and safe weekend

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.