Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Question...on supernatural??
LuckyVicki posted:
As I read some of the discussion boards I see something kinda in common. That most of us have had some kind of supernatural experience or continue through out our lives have them. I personally have always had an open door to the supernatural. I used to be able to communicate with spirits when I was younger. Then In my late teens and early 20's I could see them, hear them, and objects would move in the room. Now in my early 40's they attach themselfs to me and I can hear them, and feel their presence and where they are in a room but, I can't communicate with them like I could when I was younger. My daughter, 17, can talk to them, see them, and the spirits seem , for the most part, protect her. However there have been a few that tried to harm her. We get rid of the bad ones. Is this normal???? or does it come along with bipolar? Family history.... I have an Aunt that has bipolar and the same with her supernaturally. Only one attacked her once. I'm not trying to scare anyone but, just seems like a strange thing to have in common with bipolar! Vicki

mc1003 responded:
well i have always "felt" things more often than i saw things...though i know they were there, i just refused to look cuz i was scared, lol...there's a theory that the extra neurotransmitters we have as bipolars might provide us with some extra sensory's, whether this is true or not or just wishful thinking i don't know...i only know of my experiences...and every time i felt something coming, i was never wrong, i just didn't know specifics...it can be a bit frightening at times...but i've lived with it all my life so i know no other way...others in my family have similar stories to mine and several of them have seen things too

LuckyVicki responded:
I know what you mean by being scared.... here in the last year or so I have become more scared of what I sense then I ever used to be. I think the reason why is I feel more vulnerable. Thanks for responding!

slik_kitty responded:
yeah, i think those extra neurotransmitters can make us more sensitive. i've seen ghosts. not often, but enough to make me think. when i was pregnant with my son, i had gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. it was right off the kitchen. i saw a boy dressed in red and blue standing in the kitchen looking at me. it freaked me out, so i did a double take and when i looked back he was gone.

I think this place may be haunted. i keep seeing dark shadows moving across my living room. i could never make sure it wasn't something with the tv though since i leave all my lights off, but the other night, a dark shadow moved past my desk right next to me. i thought it was one of the boys but there was no sound. i seriously doubt it was the tv cuz it was so close to me, instead of right in front of the tv as the other ones i have seen. haven't seen it since though.

bpcookie responded:
Hello Vicki, I never thought of supernatural experiences being tied in with bipolar, interesting thought though. Ive seen things when I was very very young, but through my teens I didnt see anything. Then when I was in my late 20's I moved into a mobile home out in the boonies and thats when all kinds of stuff started. After movie from there, most of it just stopped. For me, I think its the place I happen to be at.

mc1003 responded:
kitty, i hate the dark shadows most of all...they freak me right out

slik_kitty responded:
most hauntings are tied in with the location. only occasionally does a haunting follow a person. i love ghosts! i watch every show on them that i can.

slik_kitty responded:
yeah it freaked me out. at first i thought it was one of the boys since the room was dark and it was about their size, but it wasn't them. no one had gone outside so it couldn't have been one of them coming inside. plus they are so heavy footed i woulda heard them. lol

bipolarJake responded:
when im in a manic state strange things always seem to happen. i always have a strong interest in religion. im still trying to puzzle out of this is some sort of memory or perceptual distortion, or if bipolar is somehow tied to the supernatural. while not in a manic state i have no interest in religion at all, nor would i say i even believe in psychics, ghosts, demons, etc.
but when im manic all those types of things seem so real. i do constant sanity checks, but without someone else (sane) in the room its impossible to tell if it is some sort of perceptual distortion or not. for example, while manic, i can call dice rolls. i think. and sense... things. i have alot of moments where i say the same thing as other people at the same time.
the radio seems to... respond to thought processes. for (specific) example i was pondering a decision i had made, turned on the radio, and it blares "you made the right choice!" then cut out.
strangest still is that other people seem to get sucked into my manic episodes. women mostly. they never realize it, and when its over it seems like their memory of the events is gone.

monkeybee replied to bipolarJake's response:
Ditto to bipolarJake! Its hard to tell what is psychotic and what is spiritual, even in hindsight sometimes. If it is spiritual, then whey does the experience/interest come while manic? If it is psychotic, then why do even other people notice your sudden empathetic awareness of both the human and supernatural spirit? Its like suddenly being in tune with everything and everyone.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.