Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Any good novels/autobiographies/biographies relating to bipolar (or any mental illness)? (other than the ones I know)
maddie8415 posted:
hey all,

I'm reading An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison and I am really enjoying it. I know of her other books too. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other bood books that touch on the subject of bipolar (or similar conditions) whether they're fiction or nonfiction? I think it's comforting to me to read about people/characters in similar circumstances....not that fictional characters are always accurately portrayed. I am not usually triggered by this kind of thing but enjoy reading about others' experiences with bipolar.

Thanks and hugs to you all!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

maddie8415 responded:
  • good books...not bood books, LOL
  •  
    bprobin responded:
    hey maddie sweetie. I take a notion to read once in every blue moon. I usually cant sit still long enough to read and when i can I sometime have a hard understanding what i just read. anyway....i did just read a (what i thought was a really really good) book called "all around the town" by mary higgins clark. let me know if you read it, i wanta know how ya liked it.
    hugzie, robin

bprobin replied to maddie8415's response:
    pss....i learned some things from it. i couldnt hardly put it down once i started reading it.

maddie8415 replied to bprobin's response:
    thanks!! I just looked it up and it looks very interesting *adds it to list*
    huggles

lisachssc replied to maddie8415's response:
    Hey I'd be interested in some reading too - I like mystery/thriller/suspense stuff and am interested in personal interest novels even if fictional fact . . .

TryForever responded:
    Hey Maddie,

I really liked An Unquiet Mind! I love books having something to do with mental illnesses. I picked up a book one day by an author called Wally Lamb. The books that I have read by him so far have been awesome. Not all the books I have read by him are about mental illness, but they all have that type of undertone.

The one I am reading is about mental illness, and it is by Wally Lamb. This book is called "I Know This Much is True." It is about 2 twin brothers and one of them has Schizophrenia. He is a modern day writer and he keeps you wanting more!

The most interesting thing about him is that he writes fiction and non-fiction books. The first book I read by him was testimonies from women in prison. This book was called "I'll Fly Away." It holds testimonials from the women of York prison.

Just the one relates directly to mental illnesses (I know this much is true); although it is a fiction book. I was never one for fiction, but this author is great!

Lori

lisachssc responded:
    Pat Conroy is another author that just came to mind. He suffers from major depressive episodes. Usually good reading, his new one Broad Street (which I started several weeks ago) has the undertone of possible mental illness . . . plus it's set in beautiful historic Charleston, SC.

bprobin replied to maddie8415's response:
    yea...i think that you will enjoy it. i couldnt put it down once i started it. enjoy sweetie, hugzie

littletwister196348 responded:
    HI, I am new to the board never posted anyway but been reading posts.

I went ahead and ordered that book An Unquiet mind. It sounds good.

My days of late have been more depressive than manic although I have been crabby a lot. I don't know just feel like CRAP!!!

You guys are great and hope to become a regular.

I see there is another Lori already on here too. So I guess I will sign as Twister.

Twister

Bildo2 replied to littletwister196348's response:
    Great to meet ya Twister, You will love it here....

maddie8415 replied to littletwister196348's response:
    Great to have you twister!!!

bprobin responded:
    hey maddie. let me know what you think about "all around the town" after you read it. then will you let me know what books you have read that i would enjoy. thanks.
    hugs...robin

Paullina responded:
    Hi there!
    Have you ever read the book Detour by Lizzie Simon? By far the best book I've ever read about a person with bipolar disorder. Would love to hear what other people think about this book.

maddie8415 replied to Paullina's response:
    Still want to read "all around town" and now I want to read "detour". I've lost my ability to concentrate enough to read these days but today I had my antidepressant changed to Wellbutrin, my pdoc thinking it will help me with my concentration/motivation probs.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
    Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.