Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Moody
mommaange1 posted:
I thought I had the right combination of meds. Now it seems that I spent the first few days really even and stable, but now I am all over the place again. For the last two nights I havent really slept very well and I wonder if I should go back to the Ambien and ditch the Lunesta. I get so tired the couple of hours before bed but then cant sleep at night. Weird. And the mood...gee whiz...I thought I was good to go and now I am anxious and jittery ready to jump thru the ceiling. I dont understand why I just cant be "right"

larsstarscanary responded:
I'd call my doctor, STAT!

Gee, it took them 11 years to get my meds right. No one should have to suffer that long.

All the best.

Lar

Sojourner_1 responded:
I agree with lars, please call your doc! Actually, in my experience and raising a son with schizoaffective, the fact that you had a great initial response to your med change is a very good sign that you're headed in the right direction. Oftentimes if a person responds well at first and then heads south again, an increase in the dosage is in order. It could mean that you're just not at the therapeutic level yet...every med is different regarding response time. Some can make a difference within a few days, and others can take a week or much longer to see any benefit.

This is a good sign! I may be off base, but I'm hopeful for you.

Hugs,
Sojourner

jadsy replied to Sojourner_1's response:
thanks for sharing that info. i am currently waiting to see results of a new medicine. and sometimes i think i feel a little better, other times not so much. i just don't get if it's chemical that are unbalanced, why can't they just test which ones are out of whack and then fix that. i hate all the guessing and waiting to see if the guess is even close. it's hard to live your life based on some doctors guess. like i am not a mess enough as it is.

Sojourner_1 replied to jadsy's response:
I know how you feel...it's hard to not get your hopes up when a new med is added. Very hard. There's a fine line between being hopeful yet realistic, I've found.

Yes, it would be awesome if there was a way for a doc to do a blood draw to find out what chemicals are at low or high levels...and then, voila!!! Kind of like a thyroid imbalance which can be regulated with a little pill. One pill, mind you (in most cases). Not a cocktail of pills, all different colors and shapes, crazy names that aren't easy to spell or remember, that have enormous side effect profiles.

Good luck, Jadsy!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.