Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Love Addiction. Trigger
xoxoIYExoxo posted:
I am bi polar and I am also addicted to love. Sounds strange, I know. I recently was in a relationship and was so high on "love" that I irresponsibly stopped taking my meds, things got a little rocky in my relationship and ended with us breaking up. I had a four day long panic attack which ended in a full on melt down. I immediately began my meds again, and am now back on track. I feel very disappointed that I continue these cycles and hope that I dont allow it to happen again. Am I the only one this happens to? After my meltdown I got back together with my other ex for 4 days and then broke it off with him, it was like I needed the "high". I realize these are manic phases.....I am just looking for some input, I am very disgusted with myself, this is not who I want to be. I have had my cell phone turned off so that I cannot make calls or send text messages, hoping maybe a few weeks in solitude and getting my meds back on track will give me a jump start at stopping these horrible things from happening...... thank you in advance.

hope7951 responded:
It doesn't sound like you are addicted to love but perhaps falling in love, infatuation, attention and perhaps sex. These may because something happened to you when you were younger and seeking out love now is your way of coping but it will never be enough until you figure out who youare and what you need and know that you are whole and complete by yourself without needing someone to complete you. i'd suggest you spend some time with a therapist and get to the core of your needs so you can understand and control them and turn them into wants.
You become what you think about...

xoxoIYExoxo replied to hope7951's response:
I know this is all true, I am not in denial of my past, I keep getting really bad therapists, I know I need to try again. I actually just got "hope" tattooed on me, as a constant reminder that sometimes Hope is all you have. Nothing ever makes me happy, seems the grass is always greener no matter what. I have so much to work on. I wish I could just go to an emotional boot camp, but I have a life and a child that I have to attend to. Its hard to work in me time with everything else.

hope7951 replied to xoxoIYExoxo's response:
Find a therapist or a counselor or go to www.nami.org and find a supprt groupt of class in coping. You have everything you need within yourself for happiness. Happiness is a natural state. What you need to do is take away of let go of the things that are getting in the way of you finding everything you need within you. It is there, but you have to strip away the misconceptions, bad coping behaviors, learned low self-esteen and all the trauma and hurts to find the diamond you are inside. Once you get back to being whole then everyone will be attracted to you and want what you have and have always had.

snowyowl33 responded:
Ask your Doc if he/she can recommend a good therapist for you. Sometimes going through your GP is the way to get a better therapist (that's how I got mine).

Remember to take small steps at a time. You cannot (nor should you) try to deal with everything all at once. This is a process that must be done at the pace that is good for you. Deal with one issue at a time... Your doc's will help you with htis one.... Just remember to be honest otherwise they won't be able to help.....

Don't be so hard on yourself, we've all done some of these things, some many times....

Snowy
Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out (only author I know was the one who wrote it on the bathroom stall....Anon)

hope7951 replied to xoxoIYExoxo's response:
Just recognizing that you are not happy and the ways you have tried to make yourself happy have not worked - is a huge accomplishment. once you understand that what you have been doing has not gotten you what you've wanted really is the place to embarce changing. There are many good books to help you if you cannot find a good therapist. With your own recognition, you can learn and make changes on your own as well.

lostone23 responded:
I'm 23 years old with bi polar disorder i was told i had adhd when i was young but was told i may have been actually bi polar at age 18 I dont claim it and try to avoid the stigma but never the less i really try to keep with meds but i found myself in same boat with feeling as if i have a love addiction and swear throw in a couple of engagements in your story and on marriage and you could be telling my life if you find out if its apart of disorder let me no i have read what other people wrote but in my personal case i have no lack of love for myself or otherwise ive just been like this since i was a kid no horror story attach i say romantic but love is a my thing can totally relate and most times its not about sex just intimacy

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.