Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Do you smoke?
bipolargal posted:
I hate the fact that I smoke. There are times when I think that maybe having BP, has had a hand in me being a smoker. The high stress I used to feel before meds, drove me to smoke cigarettes and drink heavily at times. I am just curious if BP people tend to be smokers or not.
If you fall off that swing and break your legs, don't come running to me. author unknown

Take the Poll

Do you smoke?
  • I am BP1, and I smoke
  • I am BP2, and I smoke
  • I smoked for over 5 years, but quit over 2 years ago
  • I don't smoke cigarettes, but I do smoke something else
  • I have never smoked
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ddnos responded:
I have never smoked and hate to be around smoke. I hate to go somewhere and there's smoking and when i come home i smell like an ash tray..i have to take a shower and wash all the clothes i wore.

Re if one is more susceptible to smoking if they are bipolar or not, i don't know from a statistical standpoint, but just my personal opinion is that it's not, that you probably would have chose to smoke whether you are bipolar or not. My opinion.
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

IrwinsLady responded:
I smoke cigs when I stress out but I smoke a hookah to chill and weed for fun.
XoXoXo Taylor, BiPolar 1/Psychosis and Loving it most days :-D

margaroo replied to IrwinsLady's response:
I think we have some closet weed smokers out there. A lot of people with undiagnosed mental illness self medicate with drugs.

DizzyJgirl responded:
I used to smoke but quit a long time ago. My dh smokes and uses chewing tobacco and I HATE it. For health reasons and I just find it to be a negative thing. I also hate all the money he ends up spending on tobacco.

hisdestiny63 replied to DizzyJgirl's response:
I used to smoke and quit cold turkey. I quit over 10 yrs ago. Now I cannot stand the smell of smoke and cannot believe I used to smell like that. My husband is also an ex-smoker too. I don't smoke any kind of tobacco anymore. I doubt very much that smoking would contribute to mental illness as a large part of the world's population smokes. I know quite alot of people tht do smoke and they do not have any issues with mental illness.
Sheri

bpcookie responded:
Ive never smoked, Im ashtmatic. I hate the smell of smoke. I was married to a man who smoked and it used to piss me off because my daughter is asthmatic, but he didnt care. Now my daughter lives with him and when she comes to visit, the poor darling smells like cigarettes. She hates smelling like that. Its not fair for her.

bpcookie replied to hisdestiny63's response:
Hey Honey, good for you. Glad you quite smoking. hugs

margaroo replied to hisdestiny63's response:
Sheri,

I never meant to say that pot smoking causes mental illness, but sometimes those with mental illness use drugs and alcohol to self-medicate. It is not unusual to find once someone has started into recovery, that they are diagnosed with a mental illness.

margaroo replied to margaroo's response:
Sorry if what I said upset anyone.

maddie8415 responded:
I've actually never smoked a cigarette in my life. I think it was my mom's horrible stories about quitting (she was a chain smoker through her 20s and reports were just coming out that she should quit before having children). So hearing her stories was enough...plus I don't like the smell. But one thing I really know is true is that i believe I would easily form addictions. I believe I have a very addictive personality and I form very strong habits. My mom always tells me to be careful with alcohol because alcoholism is present in our family and just from how I am she thinks I might be particularly suseptable to it.

snowyowl33 responded:
I quit after 32 years of smoking, and that was 2 1/2 years ago..People who smoke, will quit when they're ready, and no amt of nagging will help.. it usually has the opposite effect..
Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out (only author I know was the one who wrote it on the bathroom stall....Anon)

fuzzer29 replied to snowyowl33's response:
Very very true. I smoke and I am trying to quit now. I wanted to quit for years and just wasn't ready to give up my crutch.

snowyowl33 replied to fuzzer29's response:
You'll know when the time is right hon, and then you'll do it.

I'm gonna wish you luck for whenever that time is!!

Hugs
Snowy
Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out (only author I know was the one who wrote it on the bathroom stall....Anon)

hisdestiny63 replied to margaroo's response:
I didn't even mean pot smoking in my response. I was referring to cigarette smoking in general. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. And no you didn't upset anyone (me included).
Sheri

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.