Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Poetry Marathon (OT)
hope7951 posted:
I may have mentioned volunteer for Sackter House Media who brings to print the art and writing of those with mental disabilities in Iowa City. I design and help get to print the works of people with everything from ADHD to profound schizophernia. Anyway Iam working with a poet who is raising money for the organization by doing a poetry marathon where he is attempting to write 100 pages in 100 days. You can follow his progress on www.iowacitypoetrymarathon.com . Also I've been around here for 7 years but you might have a hard time picturing what this 59 year old bipolar actually is like in real life without make-up on a rainy summer's day. http://www.youtube.com/user/ParodyParade
You become what you think about...

hope7951 responded:
I give everyone a chance to see a video of the real me and no one is curious?

bipolargal replied to hope7951's response:
I think something is wrong with your link. I clicked on it, and it raised havoc with my computer, and I had to do a restore system.

What is the name of your video so I can watch it? I entered ParodyParade in the YouTube search box, and it didn't come up with your video, and it listed too many others to go through.
If you fall off that swing and break your legs, don't come running to me. author unknown

hope7951 replied to bipolargal's response:
You are right. Try: http://www.youtube.com/user/ParodyParade#p/a/u/0/lqjdx9zhTDk

hereinmyhead responded:
Joye, that's awesome! I've been a little homesick lately, so it was great to click on something close to home. I lived all the way on the other side of Iowa, and about half or so of that time was in Omaha, but it's way closer than I am now.
Thank you!!!

Oh, btw - love the videos

Susie

hope7951 replied to hereinmyhead's response:
I lived in VA for 5 years and never lost my longing for the heartland. It is amazing that Iowa City has been named by UNESCO as one of only three "Cities of Literature" in the world ( Edinbourough and Melbourne are the other two). Iowa city only has 63,000 citizens but produce 37 Pulizer prize winners and 63871 have and use library cards. It is this quirky neat cultural island. My brother and sister-in-law were both Writer's Workshop alum and now I'm working with this quirky genius to do something crazy to raise funding for a program to bring self-esteen, acceptance and opportunities to people with mental disabilities.

hereinmyhead replied to hope7951's response:
I've always loved Iowa City, so even when my sister was done with school there, I continued to visit at least once a year (and while I was at it, why not swing by the Amana Colonies too? One of my favorite German restaurants is in Amana). I'd still live in either Iowa or NE if I could take the cold. I never got used to those brutal winters. When we first moved to IA from Omaha, they had one of the worst school systems (at least where I went). Then we moved out of city limits to the Loess Hills area - so beautiful! I might be the only non-student in my town now who has a library card. AZ just doesn't seem to care about education so much. They're always willing to cut kids' benefits. Last I remember U of I had one of the top-rated med colleges too. The work you're doing sounds really enjoyable, fun group to hang with, I'm sure!

hope7951 replied to hereinmyhead's response:
The Ox Yoke!....that's my favorite. And speaking of the U of I hospitals, the guy who owns PappaJohns Pizzas donated huge money to them. I had to take the poet to the hospitals to get his psych meds and parked in a no parking zone but waited in the car while he was gone like 45 minutes lost as I knew he'd get. Anyway, they renamed the main clinic PappaJohns! So I'm watching all these people go in and out and thinking they are making pepperoni out of human parts in there. What an awful name for a world-class clinic!

bipolargal responded:
That was fun seeing who the mysterious Joye is. You look great for 59. I would have thought you were in your mid-forties. Thanks for sharing.
If you fall off that swing and break your legs, don't come running to me. author unknown

hope7951 replied to bipolargal's response:
Thanks BPgal. I know I might sound like a monster but am pretty ordinary to watch. Bless you for ignoring my graying temples and loose chin.

ddnos replied to hope7951's response:
she's really not a monster at all if you give her half a chance of gettig to know her
"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others."

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.