Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
I keep doing stupid things
bpcookie posted:
You remember how I left out a plastic EMPTY tube of my albuterol sulfate solution and my dog ate some of the plastic? Ive been so careful to throw those away now and anything else she could eat.

Last night I was doing a breathing treatment, (you know, using the machine), I prob. did only half of one and for some stupid reason, I put the mouth piece down and walked away. I NEVER do that because it tips over and spills the med. onto the bed. I dont know what I was thinking. So when I go to check on the dog, she is eating the dang mouth piece. Scared me because Im afraid she licked some of the sulfate solution, prob. only 1/2 ml. So I call animal poison control, asked them "what is the toxic dosage of albuterol sulfate solution .83% for a 12 lb dog?", they wanted me to pay them $65 just to answer that one question. WTH? That is ridiculous.

I am so friggin mad at myself for doing these stupid, potentially dangerous things.
I can't be bothered with a cell phone in my car....I am too busy making finger gestures at everyone!!!-Maxine

melly2210 responded:
Ok....stop and breathe a second. Anything that spilled out was mostly absorbed by the bedding first of all. And secondly, is your dog running around like a maniac right now??? I dunno what albuterol does to you, but for me...and my lil one...OMG!

I am sure your lil chewwer will be just fine. I have a friend who left his CPAP mask out (a custom fitted one, btw) and his cocker spaniel ate the whole thing.

It happens to the best of us. Maybe you need to find a new place to do this...like a table so it's definately a "no-no" zone. Or give him a special chew toy for when you are doing these things that only comes out when you are doing them????

(((((coookie)))))

bipolargal responded:
That really sucks about the animal poison control. I wonder if your vet might have a number for another service which is free of charge.

I hope Chewy is ok.

Animals are attracted to anything with their owner scent on it. I frequently have to re-make dental appliances for pet owner whos dog gets a hold of their appliances. Even my own dad was a victim lol.
If you fall off that swing and break your legs, don't come running to me. author unknown

fuzzer29 replied to bipolargal's response:
I think that is really wrong to charge someone for an answer to emergency questions like that. I'm frankly appalled that it's set up like that at all! I agree with BPG that maybe there is one that doesn't charge like that. All of those services should be free or if they HAVE to charge to stay open, then a very minimal fee, like $5 that just about anyone would pay to save their pet, or to put their mind at ease. Maybe next time this happens you can call an emergency vet? I'll have to check this out to see if I can find one locally that is free. My pets get into everything no matter how hard we try to keep them safe. Cookie, sweetheart, try not to fret, we all do things like that from time to time. You have been having a very hard time lately. Don't beat yourself up over this. Melly is right that the bedding soaked up the vast majority of the medication. I would be shocked if Chewy had any adverse effects from the exposure. Another way to think of it is that 1/2ml is equal to 10 drops. That is a seriously small amount, and I would think unlikely to hurt her. However, I just looked up albuterol toxicity in dogs and if she is not showing any symptoms of anything by the end of an hour, they said she should be fine. I would however ask your vet to confirm this, as we all know there are all sorts of odd stuff online. Some symptoms of albuterol toxicity are a rapid hearbeay, seizure, agitaion, tremore, and hyperactivity. Mind you, all of these prob won't be present unless there was a lot ingested. Like Melly said- take a deep breath. Maybe you can tape a note onto the machine to remind yourself to always put the mouthpiece away, or cap it. Whatever is done to make it inaccessible to Chewy. Big, big hugs sweetheart, I know how much you love Chewy.
No matter how high the throne, there sits but an ass. -Voltaire

snowyowl33 responded:
(((((((Cookie))))))
One good thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs! :)

bpcookie replied to melly2210's response:
Hey hun, I never thought of a no no zone, thats a good idea. The only place I can use is the night stand, when Im doing the breathing treatment. It will be a bit on the crowded side, will have to try it out to see if I even have room.

I feel so bad, because my husband scolded her and I felt like it was totally my fault, not hers. But he said that she has to learn that she cant chew on things because we also have extension cords. So he is right.

Thanks hugs
I can't be bothered with a cell phone in my car....I am too busy making finger gestures at everyone!!!-Maxine

bpcookie replied to bipolargal's response:
Hey sweetie pie, I should have just called my vet. last night. I wasnt too worried because she had only consumed a very small amount, if even that. My poor vet. is on call all the time, and through the years, I have woken the poor man too many times too count. But I did call two other 24 hour vets, who could NOT answer my question, they both told me to call the animal poison control, the ones who wanted $65.

I once had a TMJ plate eaten by one of my dogs. lol. gggrrr. Thanks honey, muah

bpcookie replied to fuzzer29's response:
hey hun, I swear, I dont know what I was thinking last night. I never leave my mouth piece laying around, I always pick it up and rinse it out. Hell, I put the whole machine away after I use it because I dont want Chewy chewing on the rubber hose. My brain was else where last night.

Also, I was doing a search on line to find out how much is toxic to dogs, and I down loaded a dang virus on my IPad. Yup, two stupid things in one night. Thank goodness my hubby was able to take care of it.

Thanks sweetie muiah

bpcookie replied to snowyowl33's response:
muahskies honey

hereinmyhead responded:
Hey hon, how stupid that animal poison control would try and charge you to answer a question! If anything like that happens again, I'd call regular poison control, or PAWS, or the humane society...or your vet, like you did. What jerks! That would be like calling the ER w/ a question and having them bill you for it.

Luckily lil chewy is fine. Don't be so hard on yourself. I do stupid things all the time. Lately I've reached into the oven to take something out, but forgot to use a hot pad. Three times in one week last week! Yeah, that's fun. LOL

hugs & muahs
susie

hope7951 replied to hereinmyhead's response:
785-532-5679 is a free dog poison hot line.
You become what you think about...

bpcookie replied to hereinmyhead's response:
LMAO OMG your just like me. I dont think ahead of time, I just do it. Ive taken something out of the oven using an oven mitt and grabbed the pan with the other hand. LOL duh

fuzzer29 replied to bpcookie's response:
I do stupid stuff like that WAYYYYYY too often for my comfort too! I am always doing something to laugh at. I think it's because of the meds I take- they seem to impair my cognitive abilities. Oh well, c'est la vie! I do bend over backwards to try not to do anything that would hurt the babies, but it still happens sometimes. I've done the oven mitt thing too, lol! Big hugs, sweetie!
No matter how high the throne, there sits but an ass. -Voltaire

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.