Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Question about SSDI
hisdestiny63 posted:
Hey Guys!
I have my SSDI Appeal on 9/17 and was just wondering how they pay the benefit if you are approved. If lets say I became disabled in April of 2009 and I an just approved now, is your disability payment retroactive from April 2009? So in other words, would I get a check from April 2009-Sept of this year (based on approval)? I ask because I need to get some major bills paid. Thanks
Sheri
FirstPrevious12NextLast

melly2210 responded:
It's backdated. I'm not sure if it is a lump sum payment or not. And if you have an attorney, they'd probably be better versed.

fuzzer29 replied to melly2210's response:
It is suposed to be a lump sum payment that starts from the date of your disabilty starting to the date you are approved. It should be a hefty sum too. I also have a boat load of bills to pay and most are in collections now.
No matter how high the throne, there sits but an ass. -Voltaire

mommaange1 responded:
You will get a lump sum check starting from the first day of your filing..ie;April of 09. then you will receive one fully payment once a month. Mine is every 2nd wed of the month. If you have kids under 18, you will receive a monthly benefit for them too.

hisdestiny63 replied to mommaange1's response:
So I applied Nov 15, 2009. My disability began in April 2009. So, if I am approved I will get a lump sum payment from April 2009 to the date I am approved (appeal is in Sept of this year). Am I correct?

fuzzer29 replied to hisdestiny63's response:
It should start from the original date the disability began. Like in my case, I became disabled in 2006, but filed in 2008. My settlement will go from the 2006 date I gave as my original date of disability. That is what my attorney told me.

hisdestiny63 replied to fuzzer29's response:
Hey Fuzzer, I told them my disability date was April 2009. I wasn't diagnosed BP2 until April 2009. I suffered from manic depression since 2006 when my pcp at the time told me I was psychotic and refused to take me off Effexor which I reacted to very badly. I am going to call that pcp's office Monday am and see if I can get those records. But, for right now it looks like fom April 2009 till now.
Sheri

I think it depends on the date you gave in your paperwork submitted to SSDI. You might want to get with your attorney to ammend the date of true disability onset, even if it was before the diagnosis. It sounds like it would def. be in your best interest to try that. Just because the diagnosis came in April 2009, doesn't mean you weren't disabled before that date. It just means that is the date you got a diagnosis. There should be a way to ammend the disability date. I think you accidently gave the diagnosis date instead of the true disability. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

hisdestiny63 replied to fuzzer29's response:
Hi Fuzzer:
I think you are correct. I gave the date of diagnosis. Hopefully, my attorney won't get upset about the date change. Can I ammend the date? I'll try it and let you know!
Sheri

nepamommaof2 replied to mommaange1's response:
Yes you will get a lump sum check from the day you filed. My pay date is the 4th wed of the month. They sent me stuff saying my kids weren't able to get monthly benefits!!! I wonder why??

hisdestiny63 replied to nepamommaof2's response:
Hi Nepamommaof2, My son is disabled and gets SSI so I can't really advise you there. I think your best bet is to call Social Security and ask them.
Sheri

An_189288 responded:
once you get your ssdi it will back date from when you first applied for it. Don't use a lawyer because I applied twice and got it my second time with out a lawyer. I had binder and binder they did nothing for me. but you will have wait before you apply again I think it 6 months. In the mean time make sure you have all your papers in order. Because one mistake and ssdi will put it aside without saying anything for a couple of week.

I hope this helps

hereinmyhead responded:
hi all,

i might be able to clear this up some, so here goes.

first, it depends on whether you were approved for SSI or SSDI. With SSI, you would only receive back pay from the date of your actual application. i don't believe you can ammend your onset date once you have been approved, but that one I would ask an attorney about to be sure.

with ssdi, you are asked for a "date of onset" that can be up to 1 year prior to your application, because the farthest SSA will go back in the way of retro pay is 1 year. Then, there is a 5 month "waiting period" that will be deducted from your back pay first, then the remaining balance would be from that date. for example: say you applied on Jan 1, 2008 with your initial application, but noted that your onset date was jan 2007. That would mean that your benefits (technically) begain in June 2007. With that in mind, your back pay would be calculated from Jun 2007 through the date your claim was approved. So, if you were approved in July 2010, you would be paid from Jun '07-Jul 2010. Your checks are always for the previous month. If you recieve your first regular check in Sept, that check would be for Aug. benefits.

I hope that makes more sense. if not, i can look for the link where I got my info when i first put in my own app.

susie

hisdestiny63 replied to hereinmyhead's response:
Susie:
SSI has no waiting period. It starts from the day of approval (my son is the perfect example). We applied for the both of us Nov 2009. In Jan my son was approved for SSI and it was a single payment. SSDI is backdated to the date of diagnosis. So, in the other words.....I applied in Nov 2009, my diagnosis date is April 2009. So I will get a check (if approved) from Oct 2009 to present, which is 15 months, because of the 5 month waiting time, in which they will pay me for. Is that right?
Sheri

Sheri, I would urge you to talk to your attorney about the date you gave. My situation was quite different than yours in that I worked for 5 yrs after the diagnosis date to quit working. That is why I gave the date of disability as Sept 06 (If memory serves). I do think there is a way to amend the date of disability. I was already approved for my settlement (just haven't gotten it yet) for it going back to 06 when I became disabled. I will get a check that goes all the way back to 06 when I was first disabled. My attorney made that possible. If you have Binder and Binder, maybe you should consider getting a new one, although they will bill you for all the work they already did, but it may be worth it. Btw, I was approved in June 09. It may have been 08, I'm not sure.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.