Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
How can I taper off Lithium Carbonate of 900 mg?
bploner posted:
Hi. I have been taking the Lithium since 2005-2006 once a night at bedtime. I can't remember what dosage I started off with but at one point I was at 600 mg & it was increased to 900 mg back in January of 2009. At first, I was being given the extended release tablets which were 24 hour. Now I have pink capsules & I think they are immediate release. I'm not sure who makes them but my wild guess would be that they are generic. I forget to actually look. Also, I read that these things leave the body at half-lives so what about a complete detox? I say this because i have been taking them so long, I know it is in my tissues, fat cells, brain, etc and was wondering using the half-lives will these things detox as well & I'll feel 100% better? The same thing w/the Risperdal cause I'm at .5 & I'm about to go to .25 soon. Please help me out. Thanks.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear bploner,

Obviously you would need and want to discuss with your doctor the advisability of discontinuing lithium, the rationale for doing so, and the long-term psychiatric risks of doing so (ie, relapse). All forms of lithium have a so-called half-life of 24 hours, which has nothing to do with coming off of it. More importantly, it has been shown that people with bipolar disorder who stop lithium in less than 2 weeks relapse 3x faster than people who taper off lithium over 2 weeks or longer. So, if for some reason I wanted to discontinue a patient of mine from 900 mg of lithium I would probably drop it by one 300 mg pill every week, to be off entirely by 21 days. You are on almost the lowest dose of risperidone and if I was advising someone to stop it, it can be safely stopped from that dose. Again, though, the concerns would be around relapse, which means a discussion with your doctor about what the plan would be should that happen.

- Dr. G.

deedee0001 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
I am currently coming off of Lithuim Carbonate 300mg 3 times a day. I have been off of it for 2 days. I feel like I am losing my mind and highly irritable. I am currently on depakote 750 mg...help

Anon_645 replied to deedee0001's response:
Dear Deedee, This sounds like the kind of situation where your doctor should be the one advising, and it would be important for him or her to know that coming off lithium may be associated with a worsening of your condition. Often, doctors add one drug to the other and might then withdraw the first, rather than stop one and start another. But your own doctor should be advising you here. Dr G

quiltingmom53 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
My son's Dr told him to taper off as you suggested in the above ppost. But what times of the day should he take his meds? One in the am and one in the pm? When he is down to just one pill a day, take it in the am or pm? Thank you for you time.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to quiltingmom53's response:
Dear Quiltingmom53, In my own practice I usually dose all of lithium together once a day. It's half-life is 24 hours so there's really no reason to divide the dosing, and it's also gentler on the kidneys to give all of the daily dose at once rather than spread out. But of course your son's doctor may feel differently and have a different instruction than what I do. Dr G

germany94 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
If I read this correct Dr Goldberg
you would stop one 300mg ER a day for 7 days if you
were taking 3 tablits a day. so you would go from
900 to 600 a day for 1 week and drop another tablet after
2nd week. Mmmm
Im in same situation but my Doc just wants to reduce amount not get me off as of yet. I take 1200 Mg ER for about 1/ 1/2 yr now
and I am doing well. After starting 50mg of Januvia for
type 2 Dr. wanted to reduce so future kidney problems can be
reduced. My Dr. is teacher at Northwestern college and
I felt ok to work with his direction.
With all this info would feel even better getting your thoughts.
Thanks,
German

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.