Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Venting on birthdays
melly2210 posted:
I'm grumpy and irritable, in a lot of pain with the ankles today. The last time I looked at the clock last night it was 5 am. I just couldn't get comfortable.

I'm awakened with a call at 8:30 by the kids. I'm barely awake, and I can tell their call is being monitored. I had asked to do a skype or video call with them WEEKS ago, so after I've talked to the boys and said all there is to say really, I'm told "Dad wants to talk to you." Shared he mailed my present from the kids today and he was downloaded Yahoo messenger right now so I could do the video call. It was in THAT voice...that tone of voice that even when I was married made me want to reach out and belt him across his mouth. The I hate you are making me do this voice. So I tell him it isn't necessary and not to bother.

Anyways he presses further, forcing me up and off the couch to run a brush through my hair so I don't look like some junkie coming off of a bender. We finally get through on skype, and the boys were so excited. And I sat here managing to hold back the tears. My oldest is sporting longer hair now. He's growing it in for that stylish look, and it's waving out perfectly. And a mustache. My baby has more than peach fuzz. Not an attractive look. His father needs to teach him to shave. Anyways, they're brothers, siblings and boys yet to boot so they're goofing around and wrestling with each other. And the ex walks in and says "Don't ruin your mother's birthday by making me hang up." Anyways, he may as well have because the conversation and ease of all of it came to a skreetching halt. Plus note that my oldest point blank asked if the video chat could have been done sooner. I go, yes. He goes, why didn't we. Laid that back at his step-mom and dad's doorstep.

My mom follows up with her call. "Happy Birthday, I'm sorry I couldn't afford a birthday gift or card for you this year, but guess what Fred (her SO of 9 yrs) got me for xmas? A chocolate diamond pendant that says I love you at the bottom with a necklace!" Gee, mom, that's just....great. Then I hear all about the medical problems and end of call. I guess the fact that she actually acknowledged the day as opposed to last year is good.

And then I have to walk to the store to pick out my own cake. Roomie's dad was making tamales. No idea what happened to that concept as I layed down to sleep. I was looking forward to them. But apparently now I am having SOS. Joy oh joy. The daughter brought over a friend, driving her mother out into my space where in low 30's temps and wind, she's not only got the AC on, but a fan blowing over her and directly to where I am. No one can talk to me because she has a migraine.

And people wonder why I want to skip this day?

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all.  ~Emily Dickinson

slik_kitty responded:
hugs hun. sorry your bday hasn't gone well, but i wish you a happy bday anyway. now for the bday hugs!

melly2210 replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks kitty...hugs back
Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos responded:
Hugs Melly, I'm sorry your day has sucked - I can sure understand those times when we just wish we could skip "this day" and I"m sorry this was one of them!

Like Kitty, I also wish you a happy birthday anyway and that you would know deep inside that YOU are worth celebrating!

Happy Birthday, Melly!

Kindness is loving people more than they deserve. --Josephe Joubert

Topaz03 responded:
(((Melly))) Oh, I'm so SO sorry:((((( That's just so awful:( Your ex, I'd like to belt him for you!!!!
I didn't know this was such a rough day. Wishing you a happy birthday (I'm not really into them myself, but, and I think that birthday's and holidays are just so much pressure.

Know that so many here love you and are here. Take it easy on yourself the rest of the night. Tomorrow will be better when the friend leaves too.
((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))) I'm typing in a hurry and wanted to let you know I care. Otherwise, I'd pick out a nice pic like dd did for you:))) I'll be sending you something in the mail soon. Just have to get things together and I should be done this week.
I still haven't used any of those moving emoticons yet, like kitty did., They are very cute!

ps, I came across a really good movie. I know your pain is deep..........it did help me today to be distracted. I don't know if you have a favorite movie around? Hang in there!!!

kytriya responded:
I'm sorry you day didn't go well for you!

I would agree that being thankful that she acknowledged the day is good. My own parents used to not tell me when a 'family' event is happening involving the relatives, until 30 minutes before I was supposed to be there, making me 2 hours late unless they picked me up (which Dad would refuse to do most of the time.)

For you, maybe you need to save up money for a Spa or something, or get your nails done, or something? What ever interest you that makes you feel special that you can give to yourself, is what I'm trying to say.

What my Sister and I do:
My Sister used to get depressed on her wedding anniversary (she married a fool), but now she makes a point of doing something special on that day and getting "me" time. I started doing this too, and having my own special "vacation/holiday" where I go to my fave hang out space, and just relax with my fave drink and my computer. I even brought my desktop computer into coffee shop, when my laptop broke. (I put a Wi-fi in my desktop.) I'd also play my fave music and then put in my fave computer game or do programming (which I love doing). It helped me not feel so down when those around me are so clueless.

Happy Birthday! Remember, you ARE special no matter what the Peanut Gallery thinks!

larsstarscanary responded:
Hi, Melly,

I'm so sorry you didn't have a great birthday (--Mine was last week--I wish I could have shared mine with you).

But you had a lot of people who in their unique ways, acknowledged your birthday. Frankly, I'm a bit envious.

Happy Birthday.

jselleck replied to larsstarscanary's response:
I'm gonna smack Matt for not tellling me it was your birthday!!! Sorry it was so ucky. Know that you have friends in Texas and other places that care for you deeply. Matt says hi, and thanks for keeping him in line while I was incommucado. You're a dear friend and I'm so very blessed to have you in my life. Even when You gang up on me !!! Haha, had to get that in. Happy birthday kiddo.

Jessica

melly2210 replied to jselleck's response:
Matt's focus was on you, where it should have been. And yes, we ganged up on you because YOU NEEDED IT! Just like I'd expect the two of you to gang up on me if need be. LOL. So there ! I know I am blessed to have so many people in my life.

Today just seemed like a big giant snow ball. The longer I was up, the worse it got. Now that everyone has gone to bed, I'm feeling a lot better.

Glad you are home and I hope you are feeling better!
Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

fuzzer29 replied to melly2210's response:
Sorry I am so late to let you know that I am sending you many hugs for your Bday, and you really need them. You DO have a bunch of pp here who care deeply about you, even if they don't say it much- like me... fuzzer admits sheepishly... Anyways, I hope the rest of the day was as good as you deserve, and I hope you had some happy moments to enjoy, and again, big hugs for your Bday!
No matter how high the throne, there sits but an ass. -Voltaire

melly2210 replied to fuzzer29's response:
I SAW my kids...even for a little bit...on a 2D platform, but I got to see them. Positive thing. I'll leave it at that.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.