Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Centers for Independant Living
ddnos posted:
I was just sent a resource that may be beneficial for some folks. It's a service found in every state called, "Centers for Independant Living."

To find one of these centers in your state, go to the above link and click on your state. It will have a list of all CILs in or near your area.

It can be best explained if I just copy a portion of the email I got.

"Centers for independent living (CILs) are private, nonprofit corporations that are in large part run by people with disabilities for people with disabilities for people with disabilities.

CIL's provide services to help you maximize your independence, and help with accessibility to your community and in my opinion are one of the best resources to help you maximize your disabled life.

Centers are funded in part by the Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration, Independent Living Branch, to provide, among other things, several core services that for the most part are FREE:

These are some of the core services you will find at your local CIL:
Advocacy for disability related issue including housing.
Note : CIL's do not offer housing, they only serve as an advocate referring to the best housing solution in the area.

Independent living skills and training,

Information and referrals to valuable services in your area,

Peer support (support groups, match up w/other with disabilities, transportation assistance)

helping you transition to and from an institution or rehab facility back into society,

And Sometimes more ... Depending on your local CIL you may also find, Legal Aid services, Access to treatment options, Grant writing assistance
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

skypper responded:
Thanks for the info doodles
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

ddnos replied to skypper's response:
you're welcome!
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.