Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
can everyone check in?
marysings posted:
Are your struggling right now?

How are you helping yourself?

What are your plans for the Memorial Day weekend?

I've been having a lot of Borderline moments and have had to have my husband help me think before I destroyed some friendships. He helps me a lot with my scrambled brain.

We are expecting company - my husband's cousin. She is a delight to be around and I look forward to her visit. I hope this year she will bring her husband. We all have a good time when we get together.

I hope to hear from many of my Borderline friends!

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart.  Have patience with me as I heal.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dem24 responded:
the visit is what you need i hope you enjoy

iwanttostop responded:
am here. ( sort of ) i quite therapy all ready i just cant go bake. any way i think we are going to the farm camping no one will be there except my husband's brother, so i can just hang by myself. i hope you and every one else enjoys there long weekend.

marysings replied to dem24's response:
I'm sure we will have a wonderful visit with her. She's not bringing her husband, though. He had a slight stroke a few years ago and traveling can be difficult for him. We'll have to schedule a visit to them sometime this summer.

I hope you have a nice weekend, dem. I'll peek in once in a while. Besure to let me know about your living situation.

Love to you,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

marysings replied to iwanttostop's response:
I'm sorry to know that you've quit therapy. Have you learned the DBT skills? They are very, very helpful for us Borderllines. If you don't know what they are, get on the computer and do some searching. Honestly, you can get all the information you need to learn them yourself. Or I can probably help you understand some of them. They are skills you already use...they just have very defined explanations.

Enjoy your camping trip but remember solitude isn't always the best thing. Spend some quality time with your husband and his brother. Family is a great support.

Hugs,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

iwanttostop replied to marysings's response:
did buy the book SKILLS TRANINING MANUAL FOR TREATING BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER. i hope to able to learn some basic skills and then maybe therapy will be possible. thanks for your support, and if i have ? i will post them and see if you have any input. enjoy your time with family.

starrystarrynight310 replied to iwanttostop's response:
I am here... for the first time since my old computer was killed by a certain office products store. It's pouring rain here and we're supposed to have strong thunderstorms tonight. I slept most of the afternoon... I just hope I sleep tonight.

No plans for Memorial Day. Nah, in reality, I just want to take a walk or a bike ride. I would just like to have one cool, sunny day that I can get some extra vitamin D.

marysings replied to starrystarrynight310's response:
I hear you on the computer disaster. I had a Best Buy GEEK totally destroy mine. I took it to Best Buy and the Geek instore manager knew the supervisor of that GEEK and he was fired. Nothing like a little revenge to make my day.

We are staying inside where it is cool. High of 87 today with 95 percent humidity. yuk!

I hope you get your walk in.

Mary

needanswer1444 replied to marysings's response:
Mary, Your story is very moving. I am a total mess at the moment. I am very new to the knowledge of BPD but fit in with most all of the symptoms. how would you advise me to go about getting doctor...where do i even start? i feel so hopless....like i am bad...or born with "just not enough"....
I would love to hear from you! Thank you.

marysings replied to needanswer1444's response:
Welcome, needanswer1444. I'm glad you found us. I'll try to answer your questions.

First thing to do is not to try to self-diagnose. While you may feel that you are Borderline, only a professional can say one way or another, and that will only be after you have been in therapy for a while. (My therapist, Dr.B, waited 8 months before he gave me the Borderline diagnosis.)

While traditional therapists with a Masters in Social Work are very, very good, you may want to pursue therapy with a psychologist who is trained in trauma or Borderline. The best way to find someone is to get on the phone and start calling. Ask if someone in their practice is a psychologist. Ask if they accept your insurance. If you don't have mental health benefits, ask if they have a sliding fee scale. (In my case, it was important to me that my therapist would be a Christian. I have to drive 2 hrs one way to see Dr.B but I don't mind because I know his therapy fits my needs.)

You could check with your family physician for a referral. They may know a therapist and sometimes if you doctor calls for your first appointment, you may get in sooner.

Are you depressed? Medications are handled through a psychiatrist who has special training in psych meds. Although most psychiatrists only do medications, there are some who also practice therapy.

Last of all, you are NOT bad. Dr.B tells me at the end of every session that just because bad things happened to a little girl it doesn't make the little girl bad. (Lately I have a hard time hearing that and believing it. However, I know that It is the truth and I guess that's why it sticks with me.)

Welcome again and if you have further questions, feel free to ask anytime. I check in at least a couple of times a day.

Mary

waddlesworth06 replied to marysings's response:
Hi everybody. I just registered to this site. I know of others having this disorder. I just never knew of any sites out there for ppl like us. Its great to see this place exists.

marysings replied to waddlesworth06's response:
Welcome, waddlesworth06. I hope you will find a lot of support here. Also, take advantage of the TIPS and RESOURCES listed on the right side of this page.

Feel free to post anytime you want to. No one will ever pressure you for your 'life story' or any information. All of the people who frequent this site will be very kind, caring and sensitive. If they aren't, I'll be very surprised!

It's good to have you join us. I hope this will be a positive experience for you.

Mary

PS - WebMD does not want you to ever give any information which will identify you. No last names, no addresses, no email addresses. If you want to talk about a caregiver, use initials. (My psychologist is Dr.B on this website.) Also, we are not allowed to recommend caregivers or institutions.

bod27 responded:
Hey Mary

bit late but have been running round like mad recently. struggling but got a letter yesterday saying Ia m at the top of the waiting list for psychotherapy - finally - but is has thrown me slightly. waiting is fine. Realisation I am going to have to deal with the things in my past is scary. Been cutting down on my meds (some with the help of my dr) and am now worried I am not going to be able to cope when I start therapy. Nearly done on my individual DBT - only a month or so to go. Thats also scary. big changes - I don't like big changes

marysings replied to bod27's response:
It's good to hear from you, bod27.

Are sure that you should be cutting back on meds when you know that things may be rough once you start therapy? You say "some" with the help of your doctor? Tsk, tsk - not a good idea to do anything like that without your doctor's help.

You'll find that using the DBT skills will get easier as you use them consistently. If you have a DBT diary card, be sure to complete it daily. It will help you realize skills that you may be overlooking. Also, it will help your therapist to know what skills you are using.

I hear you on not liking big changes! I don't like that either.

I'm glad you checked in. Keep us up to date on the therapy and don't forget that we can be supportive when you post for help or feedback. You don't have to walk alone.

Mary

bod27 replied to marysings's response:
Thank you Mary

my dr suggested cutting back on my anti d's last time I saw him (about 6 weeks ago) but I have also cut down my anti anxiety ones without him. I have only just cut down on the anit d's (about 2 days) so I don't know whether to go back up cause of the news about therapy. Enjoying feeling more alive having cut back on the anti anxiety's. need to make an appoint and talk to him. Appoint re therapy not til the end of the month anyway so even more confused about what to do. trying ot do everything cause I don't want to disappoint people.

managed to use skills tonight - wanted to punch the wall/cut but screamed instead. please I managed not to hurt

I hope you are doing ok (((((((((((((((((Mary)))))))))))))))))

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany. I was raised in an emotionally, verbally, and physically abusive household. I just moved out of that household a year ago (I&...More

Helpful Tips

Identifying Borderline Personality Disorder
Thoughts that may indicate BPD Alternate between seeing people as either flawless or evil? Have difficulty remembering the good things ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.