Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
are you better off
iwanttostop posted:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------after reading the post i wonder how many of us that are in therapy think we are better then before we started therapy? how is it better?

marysings responded:
I've been in therapy for more than 8 years with the same therapist. I will never regret having therapy. I have learned many things about myself and when I want to change, I get good feedback.

I would always recommend therapy!

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

An_188801 replied to marysings's response:
was thinking about this yesterday , there is wrong or right answer to this, some people have lucky such as mary to have found someone that is willing to stay with them and there are some that are been so lucky and have been burned by the system. that is just how fate happened

marysings replied to An_188801's response:
Dr.B told me a long time ago that treating a Borderline is one of the most difficult challenges in therapy. He also told me that most therapists will only have one Borderline patient at a time.

I guess we wear them out!

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

iwanttostop replied to marysings's response:
how has therapy helped you?

marysings replied to iwanttostop's response:
After trying to come up with some good answers, I keep drawing a blank. Would you mind if I answered you later?

Mary

marysings replied to marysings's response:
Okay...my previous post seems a bit lame to me. I have lots of good answers, I just don't have a lot of energy. I'm sure I will give many answers, but not in just one post.

1. I am safe in Dr.B's office. He will never touch me.

2. I can express how I really feel without having to justify those feelings.

3. I can cry when I need to cry. I can laugh when I need to laugh. I can have any emotion and I won't be ridiculed.

4. I can talk about the past and I will not be told to "leave it alone" or "get over it".

5. I can complain without having to explain why.

6. I can be 4, 5, or 10 years old. I can be 56 years old. Whichever I choose, I know Dr.B will honor that choice.

7. I've learned that body parts have names. I can use those names and not feel ill-at-ease. I don't always like to use the proper names because I tend to be embarrased; however, Dr.B has taught me that using the proper names for our body is the correct thing to do.

8. Because Dr.B is a Christian, I know that his therapy practice will include Biblically-based methods. I won't be subjected to other teachings (ie: new age, freud, etc.).

I'll write more later.

Mary

marysings replied to marysings's response:
9. Dr.B and I learned the DBT skills together. They are part of the critia for living with Borderline Personality Disorder.

10. I can call for help and I know that Dr.B will always return my call.

11. When I am stuck in the emotional mind, Dr.B gentle guides me in exploring what the trigger has been. Then we talk about how the DBT skills will help in that certain situation.

12. Dr.B cares for me and has set a goal for me to be whole and functioning. He's told me that I will be in therapy for many more years. He's also told me that sometime in the next few years I will choose to put more time between therapy sessions and he will completely support me.

I realize that many people struggle to find a therapist who can actually help them. I know that God has blessed me with Dr.B and not everyone has that privilege. My heart hurts for others who have to fight depression and/or BPD by themselves.

I hope my replies have been helpful to you.

Mary

iwanttostop replied to marysings's response:
thank you Mary, i am still thinking of all you have posted. i try to learn from each and every one. i will replay when i have it strait in my head, i am trying to talk myself into therapy but have not been able to so please don't take my question as any thing other then me trying to do the right thing for myself, i am not quitting you i am trying to learn.

Spotlight: Member Stories

** may cause triggers** I am a 39 yr old mother, of two amazing teen daughters and one very active 4 yr old little boy. My mental health journey start...More

Helpful Tips

Some Traits Common to People with BPD
People with BPD may have other attributes that are not part of the DSM definition but that researchers believe are common to the disorder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.