Skip to content

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Welcome Storm224
marysings posted:
Hello Storm. First things first...you must clean up your language. The dictionary has thousands of adjectives. Choose from them and leave the cussing for off-line conversations. I'm concerned that your original post will be deleted because of your language, so I have started this conversation.
I agree with you that it is a relief knowing there are other Borderlines in the world. How did I feel when my therapist diagnosed me? I was very angry. I totally disagreed with him and then we went through the criteria one item at a time. After that, I was just totally frustrated, like I didn't have enough problems already.

On the right hand side of this page is an area called Tips. Look at the topic "Identifying Borderline Personality Disorder". It may help you better understand this disorder.

As far as sharing with others, I wouldn't do it. Most people freak out when they find out you are depressed, let alone having another mental health diagnosis. People are afraid of mental illness and they just don't know what to say. As far as being "crazy" - we are NOT crazy. We have a disorder that is difficult to treat. We did not ask for this, no more than a diabetic would ask for diabetes.

I'm glad you are in therapy. Hopefully your therapist will teach you the DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) skills. Those skills are vital to living with Borderlline Personality. You can find tons of information about DBT on the internet.

I hope you'll post often so we get to know you. This is a slow community and a lot of people come and go. I find it frustrating sometimes but if enough will stay around, I believe we'll all be able to help each other.

Sincerely,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart.  Have patience with me as I heal.

Storm224 responded:
Mary, thank u for your response. Didn't mean to sound vulgar I guess that's just the way I speak, will try 2 be careful from now on..I have been in therapy for almost a year now (I saw the same therapist at the age of 18-19 but didn't cooperate). He's using a method called Psychodynamic therapy (he transferred me from the chair to the couch) I started to look for info bout DBT and will ask my therapist bout it .I will also ask him why he didn't diagnose me a few months back and instead waited for me to ask him what I have. Will keep u posted"026

marysings replied to Storm224's response:
My psychologist, Dr.B, waited 9 months to give me a diagnosis. He told me that it takes a long time for a therapist to give a patient a correct diagnosis. Don't imply your therapist was trying to keep something from you. He did the right thing. Also, Dr.B didn't tell me right away that he had a diagnosis for me.

I'll have to look into Psychodynamic therapy. If it requires a couch, Dr.B couldn't do that. His office is rather small and he has a rocker/recliner for his patients.

Oh, by the way, I did notice that your original post is gone. Watch the language...even disguising cuss words is not tolerated.

I'll be interested to learn if your therapist will teach you DBT.

Have a good day,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i will update my story later when i have more time but i would like to say that the previous story that i posted was wrong. not on purpose but by acci...More

Helpful Tips

how i feel every second of my day....
shaking shivering starting to cry feeling so lonely wanting to die and if you tell people the things that you do they still don't know all ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.