Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Overwhelmed
susiep1963 posted:
I am searching for answers but overwhelmed with questions right now. I have been in therapy and on disability for 12 years, therapy longer than that. I feel like I have not made much progress. I see people I met online who have moved on and I'm still here. I have little support in real life, my mom is 93 and understands nothing and my son is 21 and doesn't really care. I do have a precious little chihuahua that is about all I live for right now. I have a lot of stuff going on, mental like depression and anxiety and physical like diabetes, IBS, and a host of other small things. I recently went back to old journals i had locked up and old therapist's reports and that's what lead me to this part of the site. She originally said I had borderline personality disorder, but never really explained it or what to do about it. So I thought maybe coming here and posting would help me learn and get me on the right track finally.

it_is_what_it_is responded:
hi sushi 1963, i mention in another post that i found Mary tips very helpful. (identifying bpd) i am also new to this site and although i have live with dds all my life,(since i was 5- i was just diagnosed wit bpd i am trying to learn new copping skills. i will start a new thread and see if any one has any advice. glade you found us, hope to see you around the key board.....

susiep1963 responded:
I'm so confused now. I went back to the old reports to read and make sure I understood what it said. Originally in 98 she said this: Anxiety disorder with panic attacks; Dysthymic disorder; schizoaffective disorder; post-traumatic stress disorder, delayed onset; and paranoid tendencies. Ok then in 02 she wrote in her report this: Major depression with psychotic features and frequent suicidal ideation, superimposed on Dysthymic disorder; Generalized anxiety disorder with panic episodes; post-traumatic stress disorder, severe, delayed onset; and Mixed personality disorder with borderline and paranoid characteristics, severe. So now I have no idea what I am or where I belong. I have had experiences in the past year that make me think I'm worse. I was going to paranormal sites to try to explain what I thought could be spirits, but now I think, although I believe some experience this, I don't think I am. If I was seeing or hearing the things I think, my dogs who are in the room with me would be reacting too. This leads me to believe it's all in my head and something I didn't have before.

it_is_what_it_is replied to susiep1963's response:
have had many diagnoses also. from the time i was 8 till know ( 50ish) one thing i notice is as the field of mental illness grow the standard for different diagnoses change, so you might not have fit in one category but now you do. i have never been diagnosed with bpd either although after reading about it i can see how i fit in. instead of spending time on trying to figure out what i am or why i am the way i am i have decided to try to become the person i want to be. i have no idea if this will work. but if i have to ride this merry go round i might as well have something to hang on to. i hope this dose not add to your confusion

marysings replied to susiep1963's response:
Have you thought of "starting over" with a new therapist? You've had so many diagnosis' that it is no wonder you are troubled with who you really are.

Look for a Psychologist because they have more training than just a social worker/therapist.

And understand that it should take several months before you get a diagnosis. And when that happens, ask for a lot of information so you fully understand your diagnosis.

I wish you all the best!
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Where do I even start, I guess I am just like everyone else. Been through too much, survived it all, but still not living. I started drinking at age 9...More

Helpful Tips

Some Traits Common to People with BPD
People with BPD may have other attributes that are not part of the DSM definition but that researchers believe are common to the disorder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.