Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
it's just me
joynevercomes2me posted:
sorry i haven't written here for so long...started going to a couple group therapy environments this last week, and not been doing very well. just kind of shutting down and keeping to myself. my therapist suggested these groups for me to try so that i'm socializing instead of sitting at home alone.

monday and wednesday i went to Recovery Zone, mostly watched tv with some others, chatted a little, ate lunch, and wednesday i went for a ride with some of the ladies to a homegrown produce market. i didn't do very well, but it was my first time, i was really nervous about being around others and talking in front of them.

on thursday, i went to DBT group therapy. it's more structured, it was the first day so mostly just getting to know each other. i really had to work hard at keeping myself from crying and walking out the door. i've never been successful with group therapy (tried it twice in college and got kicked out for not participating), so i'm hoping i can hang in there. of course, if i'm so nervous and struggling inside to just stay put, i'm not sure how much i'm going to get out of the therapy.

i'll try it all again this week...and see how it goes. i'll let ya know if i survive.

Take the Poll

Have you ever been in group therapy and was it effective?
  • Yes, and it was great!
  • Yes, and it was good.
  • Yes, and it wasn't very effective.
  • Yes, and it wasn't effective at all.
  • Never been in group therapy.
vote
View Poll Results

marysings responded:
I hope you will continue to go to the group meetings. It won't be overnight, but you will feel better as you get to know others. For the next two weeks make it a goal to find one person from the groups and just say hello. Polite conversation doesn't have to be long. Practice an introduction of yourself at home ...

• Hello, my name is "Ann". How long have you been coming to this group?

• That's nice. Me? Oh I just started last week. I find being in a crowd rather uncomfortable but I do enjoy one on one conversation. My goal for right now is just to get to know a few people. I'm very shy but I am determined to stay in this group.

• Thank you for talking with me, "diane". I'll look forward to seeing you at the next group meeting.

You will eventually find this easier and easier. Practice answering questions with a few words and a return question. It's hard - I know because I've been there.

I'm proud of you for going this first week and I hope that next week is a bit easier. You go girl!
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

taminenator responded:
I started DBT a month ago and I am really learning about different skills I can use. I never was able to last in group therapy before, but this is different. I like that I don't have to really talk in depth about myself and that this group is more focused on what I am doing in different problem situations in my life. I am 44yrs though and have been working on this problem a long time. DBT is alot about just showing up, so as long as you can get there, you will probably get something out of it.
Good luck to us both !!!!!

CHARLIE2299 replied to taminenator's response:
I ALSO WAS IN ANOTHER GROUP THAT THE THERAPIST WAS A BULL DOG. IT INVOLVED COGNITIVE THERAPY AND JUST PUSHING PUSHING UNTIL I EXPLODED. I WAS THEN TAKEN TO THE pRINCIPALS ( PSYCH) OFFICE TO BE REPREMANDED.
i HAD JUST GOTTEN OUT OF THE HOSPITAL AND THEY ADDED TO MY SPINNING AND STRESS. i AM SORRY i DID NOT THINK TO WALK OUT AND REPORT THE CENTER AND THE THERAPIST TO THE DIRECTOR OF THE HOSPITAL UNITS.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've battled depression since I was 5 years old when my father suddenly passed away, but it was never treated until I was almost 40. Needless to s...More

Helpful Tips

how i feel every second of my day....
shaking shivering starting to cry feeling so lonely wanting to die and if you tell people the things that you do they still don't know all ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.