Skip to content

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
dissociative identity disorder
samijojo posted:
I was just recently diagnosed as having dissociative identity disorder i am not sure if i qualify for disability does anyone have any advice and if i do apply and get denied what should i do?

MarySings responded:
If you apply for disability based on your recent diagnosis, I have no doubt that you will be denied.

Disability is for people who have been employed, have a medical situation that makes it impossible for them to work as they have been working, and have the blessings of their doctors and therapists for submitting the disability paperwork. Your medical caregivers will be contacted and will have to make a sworn statement that you cannot return to work.

My disability is for two reasons: severe depression and fibromyalgia.
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

taminenator replied to MarySings's response:
You may be denied when you first apply but go to the legal aid office in your area and they will help you appeal the decision. Disability is not just for those who have worked, others can get SSI if you are low income, disabled and cannot work. It is true that you will need all of your doctors names, addresses, and phone numbers, plus a list of all the places you have been hospitalized if this has happened to you. They will pull all your medical records plus they may send you to their own doctor to determine if your diagnosis is accurate. You have a very serious diagnosis and are likely to eventually get approved if you keep appealing.

taminenator responded:
You may be denied when you first apply but go to the legal aid office in your area and they will help you appeal the decision. Disability is not just for those who have worked, others can get SSI if you are low income, disabled and cannot work. It is true that you will need all of your doctors names, addresses, and phone numbers, plus a list of all the places you have been hospitalized if this has happened to you. They will pull all your medical records plus they may send you to their own doctor to determine if your diagnosis is accurate. You have a very serious diagnosis and are likely to eventually get approved if you keep appealing.

I'm sorry Mary - I posted my response in the wrong place!!! I will learn as I am new, please forgive me!

MarySings replied to taminenator's response:
Oh, that's ok. It's easy to post in the "wrong" place.

What is the difference between SSD and SSI?
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

thelovelylemontree replied to MarySings's response:
SSD is determined by the time you've worked and been taxed. If you've never worked, you can get SSD (disability), like my friend's little girl who has a rare genetic disease called Jeune's Syndrome. The money, though, is quite low.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income. For people like myself, who don't even meet 1/3 of the poverty line on Disability alone, a determination is made to put you at 1/3 the poverty line. I think this is also contingent upon household size. So where I live alone, it just puts me over 1/3 the poverty line for the income of 1 person. I could be wrong, though. Getting SSI means you're "indigent."

Basically what it boils down to is that instead of one check a month, I get two smaller checks a month that add up to what the larger amount is. Of course, this may all be wrong, but I gave up trying to understand the government's fine print when I left law school.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've had major depression and mood swings for years. I suffered some serious trauma in my childhood. My father was verbally abusive to me and phys...More

Helpful Tips

how i feel every second of my day....
shaking shivering starting to cry feeling so lonely wanting to die and if you tell people the things that you do they still don't know all ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.