Skip to content

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
BPD or Bipolar?
Anon_129305 posted:
My wife was diagnosed as bipolar and is taking meds for it but I am curious if this is really her problem. I don't interact with her therapist so I don't know how thing are going there unless she tells me, which she doesn't.

I'm concerned because she acts as if she is two different personalities. This isn't a sudden switch it is over a month or so and she goes from being really nice and religious to being very very WILD if you get my meaning.

She remembers everything she does and feels remorse after she goes though one of her wild periods. But yet four or five months down the road and she is switching again. It is quite the roller coaster ride for me and I have problems knowing how to approach her sometimes when shes in her transition period. The switch is extremes but she is still herself by name and she knows about her change in behavior but rationalizes it.

Any advice on this?

marysings responded:
Being Borderline or Bipolar are two very different mental illnesses.

I would ask your wife's permission to go with her to a counseling session. Staying in touch with her counselor will help you stay informed.

There is a Depression Community that has a Doctor who responds to posts frequently. You might post there:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/depression-exchange

You might also post your question on the Bipolar Community:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder-exchange

I wish you all the best. Your wife is blessed that she has you in her life.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

taminenator responded:
People with BPD do not have two distinct personalities. We have one personality that is "disordered" meaning that I focus more on the environment to guide my actions and will respond to the environment as I feel will most help me in the situation. I don't have much internal control of my emotions and this can feel like a rollercoaster on a wild ride. Bipolar disorder is similar but can be controlled with medication and the person will seem "normal". The BD medicine may help the severity of my symptoms, but I still have the ride because medication can't yet correct my personality disorder. So she could have BPD if she is not responding to the medication or she just might not be on the right medicine. Only a MD can say. I agree with the previous comment; tell your wife you are very concerned about her and you really want to be counseling with her maybe in a separate session to counteract and improve family problems (she won't feel like her privacy is so invaded that if you went to her "regular" session.) I pray for your success.

marysings replied to taminenator's response:
You need to read my first post again. I did not say that people with BPD had two distinct personalities. I said "Being Borderline or Bipolar are two very different mental illnesses."

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had a long a tumultuous past with mental health. It started when I was 12 with the skin picking, although it is not clearly noticeable until la...More

Helpful Tips

Some Traits Common to People with BPD
People with BPD may have other attributes that are not part of the DSM definition but that researchers believe are common to the disorder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.