Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Depersonalization
Rubeeblue posted:
I've always always had depersonalization invading my life. I don't think I realized how much it has dictated my life. (I did a lot of bad attention ggrabbing actions unwittingly in an attempt to feel SOMETHING).
About a month ago my boyfriend was struck by a car and died. I felt
some nausea and general discomfort, but very little emotions. It has
become clear to me, because of this tragedy, that I am in dire need of
help! I don't even have enough faith to believe anything will help,
since I've had the disorder my entire life! I basically dont know what
its like to have emotions like a normal person. Everything I do is based
on what my intellect guesses I should respond.

Take the Poll

Do you feel you currently have an effective therapist?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Could be better, but not bad
vote
View Poll Results

MarySings responded:

I was 48 years old when I had a breakdown. Prior to that, I rarely cried. When an occassion called for tears (death, etc), I would have to bite the inside of my mouth to the point of pain before I could manage to look sad and shed tears.

My 'source' of depersonalization was ingrained in me as a child. No talking without permission. Children are to be seen but not heard. Absolutely no crying ... if you want something to cry about, let me take off my belt and give it to you. On and on and on.

Working through all the garbage of my past has produced enough tears to last a lifetime. For me, tears are certainly 'healing'.

I agree with you that some counseling may help you. I hope you find a good therapist. Just remember that 'unlearning' bad habits will take time.

All the best to you,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 64 and divorced and single. I have 3 children and 3 grandchildren, but they aren't really involved in my life. I married an abusive man wh...More

Helpful Tips

Identifying Borderline Personality Disorder
Thoughts that may indicate BPD Alternate between seeing people as either flawless or evil? Have difficulty remembering the good things ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.