Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Mary Sings
jankearney123 posted:
I noticed below you talk about depersonalization. Can you explain that to me? Before i came to therapy I never cried either. And if i did i did not show it but rather the tears would roll down the back of my throat not out my tear ducts and i would swallow them. I'd much rather go back to that because it seems like all i do now is cry all the time. I hate it and I scream at myself to shut up and stop it. I feel like i'm going mad. At least the last 3 days have been feeling much better than what my life is usually. I hope i can maintain this. But what's normal is what i wrote above. Is depersonalization a characteristic of borderline personality disorder?
The jury is stil out on if i have this disorder or not. Apparently the pdoc at the hospital when i attempted suicide in October wrote the note in my file that i have a personality disorder nos (non specified). She's met me 4 times and for limited amounts of time and i asked her if she read much of my chart and she said no. So how can a complete stranger make a dx like this! I was furious but am trying to have it removed. My t talked to my old t and they couldn't come to any conclusion that i have borderline and they know me well. specially my old t. well mary i hope you can tell me about depersonalization. thanks for the time. btw i think you're a neat gal from what i read!

MarySings responded:
Thank you for the compliment! I'm more of a know-it-all which isn't always what a person wants to lay claim to. I try to escape coming across like that.

I reread some recent posts and I couldn't come up with any that talked about depersonalization, so I went to the web.

I found this on www.minddisorders.com :

Depersonalization is a state in which the individual ceases to perceive the reality of the self or the environment. The patient feels that his or her body is unreal, is changing, or is dissolving; or that he or she is outside of the body.

Depersonalization disorder is classified by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , 4th Edition, text Revision, also known as the DSM-IV-TR as one of the dissociative disorders. These are mental disorders in which the normally well-integrated functions of memory, identity, perception, and consciousness are separated (dissociated). The dissociative disorders are usually associated with trauma in the recent or distant past, or with an intense internal conflict that forces the mind to separate incompatible or unacceptable knowledge, information, or feelings. In depersonalization disorder, the patient's self-perception is disrupted. Patients feel as if they are external observers of their own lives, or that they are detached from their own bodies. Depersonalization disorder is sometimes called "depersonalization neurosis."

Depersonalization as a symptom may occur in panic disorder , borderline personality disorder , post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), acute stress disorder , or another dissociative disorder. The patient is not given the diagnosis of depersonalization disorder if the episodes of depersonalization occur only during panic attacks or following a traumatic stressor.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

jankearney123 replied to MarySings's response:
wow mary.............thank you for such a great through answer! I didn't expect that at all! YA know i forget to think to do research on thenet?! i'm not very good at it and it takes me a long time to do it.
Thanks so much for your time and effort. Have a great saturday!~ Its snowing to beat the band here! beautiful.

fran

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had a long a tumultuous past with mental health. It started when I was 12 with the skin picking, although it is not clearly noticeable until la...More

Helpful Tips

Identifying Borderline Personality Disorder
Thoughts that may indicate BPD Alternate between seeing people as either flawless or evil? Have difficulty remembering the good things ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.