Skip to content


Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Emotional Support Animals
MsKrys26 posted:
How do I go about getting a "presciption" for my cat to be my ESA? I was diagnosed with BPD when I was 16, and my cat is my life. I love her so much, and I live in apt that does not allow pets unless medically nessecary. I live in Topeka KS
lovely_lemon_tree responded:
I have someone up my sleeve you can contact -- she's at Bright Horizons (the consumer-run organization) in Great Bend, and her name is Kathy. She runs something called "The Buddy Program" (in honor of her first ESA) and she will have all the Kansas-specific information for you. Look her up, give her a call. I have her cell number if you want, just let me know here and I'll email you privately.

I know this because I lived in Great Bend for four years. I still think of KS as home. My cat, Claire, was the first ESA in the Buddy program, and Claire died in 2009. Now I have Savannah, who is completely a different soul from Claire, but she is also my support animal and I take her on long trips. I'll be going back to school in the fall and I'll be taking Savvy with me as a service animal.

I hate to say exactly what you need paperwork-wise, because specifications differ by state, but give Kathy a call, and she'll be able to guide you through it.

Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had a long a tumultuous past with mental health. It started when I was 12 with the skin picking, although it is not clearly noticeable until la...More

Helpful Tips

how i feel every second of my day....
shaking shivering starting to cry feeling so lonely wanting to die and if you tell people the things that you do they still don't know all ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.