Skip to content

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
When this disorder becomes dangerous..
sharonaline45 posted:
I am in relationship with a man who I firmly believe has BPD/OCD, basing my opinion on his symptoms and behavior patterns ~ My question is this: Is it common for this disorder to become physically dangerous when in an intimate relationship with someone w/ BPD?

I noticed early on that he was quick to anger but he seemed to recover quite quickly and never became violent, however last weekend there was another incidence while driving down the road where he was pretty much unable to control himself any longer, and only because I needed a few minutes to process a particular conversation we'd had...

I don't like to raise my voice at all, nor argue or fight, so I just wanted/needed to have a few moments to process... however he wanted me to Kiss him right then, (which I calmly said "no, I don't feel like it right now") and apparently he felt that he'd lost control of the situation, so he began saying crazy, stupid things, mean things, very immature things like, "maybe you should just go back to your ex-boyfriend!" (etc.. when my ex-boyfriends had never been talked about) ~ This guy is 50 years old!

He has many wonderful qualities, this is why I fell in love with him, however I survived/escaped one obsessive/abusive relationship when I was much younger, and I do not wish to repeat the same mistake.

I guess I'm wondering if people with BPD tend to become physically violent within their relationships ~ it would seem like a natural progression... (this guy is very muscular and much larger than me, so if he WAS to become physical with me, it would not end well, I'm sure)

Thanks for any insight you can lend..

marysings responded:
It's been a week since you posted and I wonder how things are now.

My opinion is to follow your instincts. If you are uneasy with his behavior and feel threatened, leave him. Better to be alone than to live in fear of when he will explode next.

If you choose to stay, I hope you can encourage him to get some counseling and find a psychiatrist for meds.

All the best to you,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

** may cause triggers** I am a 39 yr old mother, of two amazing teen daughters and one very active 4 yr old little boy. My mental health journey start...More

Helpful Tips

Some Traits Common to People with BPD
People with BPD may have other attributes that are not part of the DSM definition but that researchers believe are common to the disorder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.