Skip to content

Announcements

Do you have Borderline Personality Disorder? This new Exchange has been developed so we can encourage each other, share tips to get through those down days, and/or just vent.
Husband might have BPD
Anon_168275 posted:
Hi! I've been posting on the depression support forum regarding my husband ,not realizing this site existed. He is currently being treated for depression, but I have been doing some research and I think he might also have some type of BPD. Can anyone tell me anything more about it? I have read about it online etc but it is sometimes more helpful to hear about things from someone who has experienced it. His depression has not been helped AT ALL by the meds the MD has him on (Lithium/Zoloft, he was previously on Lexpro until about 3 weeks ago) and I think he he suffers from both conditions. Thanks for any information that you can share with me.

tinklover4u responded:
Hi Anon,

I am a survivor of BPD and depression. i know what it is like to feel like you have no options as i imagine your husband is feeling right now. i have been on all three of the medications that you listed and wanted to remind you that different medications work for different ppl.

as for the bpd i can give you a couple of book titles that were helpful to me if you would like.

it is said that knowing your triggers is important, and i am not saying it isn't, but for a borderline sometimes the triggers are always different. i learned that a long time ago and i have been fighting bpd and depression most of my life. it wasn't until about 6 years ago that i was diagnosed and it took a therapist that knew what to look for to figure it out.
something you could try is calling a few therapists in your area and seeing if they have experience in diagnosing and dealing with borderlines.
just remember if he has bpd there is not a "cure" but there is help out there. and it will get a lot worse before it gets better if he has it. as he works thru the issues in therapy it will get better though.

i hope that this is helpful but if not i apologize. i would not mind providing you with more information as time goes on but at the moment i am being called away by children.

Sincerely,

Tinklvr1984

Anon_168275 replied to tinklover4u's response:
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply back. I'm having a really hard time right now because I'm not sure what my husband has...I just know that it's more than depression, I wanted to speak to his MD alone because I wanted to tell him some of what has really been going on, but he wants to see both of us in what he describes as "controlled" enviroment. I tried to explain that some of what I had to say would trigger a negative response from my husband, but he didn't seem to understand. And also ,thanks for giving me a word that I can use to describe some of his reactions to things that I say (trigger) I have been reading a lot about BPD and I really think he has some form of this. Of course, I'm not qualified to diagnose him but like I mentioned, he meets most of the criteria than not.

marysings replied to Anon_168275's response:
On the right hand side of this page is an area called Tips. There is a lengthy list of questions to help identify borderline personality.

Even if he does have bpd, getting him into therapy with a trained therapist for bpd may be difficult. It's his decision to get help.

All the best,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

tinklover4u replied to Anon_168275's response:
you are welcome. i hope that i can help you more in the future. any questions that you have please don't hesitate to ask. that is what this is for. i am trying to check in every other day or so.

like mary said, finding a quality therapist for bpd is difficult but not impossible.

just remember there will be ups and downs throughout the healing process. and it will take time.

just keep your head up and remember that it will get better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story would take too long. But I've suffered from severe depression most of my life. I also have epilepsy, but it's under control w/meds.

Helpful Tips

Identifying Borderline Personality Disorder
Thoughts that may indicate BPD Alternate between seeing people as either flawless or evil? Have difficulty remembering the good things ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.