Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having lumpectomy pain, what to do?
kksmom3 posted:
My lumpectomy was 10 days ago. At first, I felt fine really, then this last weekend I started to hurt. Advil, tylenol, etc. don't seem to help much. I think maybe I overdid it or something. It doesn't hurt to use my arm or anything. I got good news - no cancer!! But the lump they took out was an inch and a half long and they took some cysts also. I think it was pretty far in, back by the chest wall. I am a Smallish C cup if that helps. I bought a sports bra to try and am going to put that on in a minute. I am healing fine, just uncomfortable. I just kind of ache. I am also going to try a heating pad.

Does anyone know how long this might last? Is this unusual? This is about the 3rd day in a row that I hurt. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy not to have cancer, but could use some words of wisdom on this issue. Thanks.

Rachael67 responded:
Congratulation on a B9 report! But very sorry that you are in such discomfort. Ten days after surgery is rather long to feel this poorly...and even more odd as it seems from what you say that initially you didn't have such pain.

I'd definitely give the doctor a call and ask him what to expect, and if this is "normal." Yes, you may have strained too much and may even have pulled out some stiches (if they were used). But don't try to prove that you aren't a sissy and that you can endure pain, etc! Pain is the body's way of saying: "Pay attention!! Something isn't right!!"

Sending you good wishes that all is resolved soon.

blessings. Rachael

kkb22 responded:
I feel for you. Had the same problem and asked my surgeon why it still was painful. She told me she had a biopsy the year prior and was still in discomfort occasionally. I was too but after several surgeries I am wondering if it wasn't partly caused by nerve damage from the biopsy. You might try some ice also in case you have swelling.

My pain did settle down after awhile.

Hang in there.

kksmom3 responded:
Karen, any idea about how long it took? It'll be two weeks ago tomorrow, I am hoping this is only going to take 6 weeks or so. A girlfriend had the same back when she was 19, and she said 6 weeks. I sure hope that's all! I know I am not infected, the incision is fine. I'm just achy and sore. I had a heck of a time getting to sleep last might the pain made me so uncomfortable. I might call the surgeon's office tomorrow but I am reluctant to do that as I just saw him last Monday and he said tylenol, advil, heating pad etc. I am doing that but I'm not sure it's helping that much.

Anyway if I just had some sort of timeline maybe that would help. Thank you all so much, I know I sound like a whiner. You are all in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

kkb22 responded:
If you react to that of a surgery incision I would think that after a couple of weeks it would be calmed down. Again if it acts as a surgery incision and everything is about the same, most major surgeries after 6 weeks would be the norm to return back to work.

I would think that you would soon be over the most of it but again you may have some discomfort for some time but not to the point that it would be painful or even all the time.

Hopes this helps.

kpage65 responded:
I had a lumpectomy on September 8 for invasive ductal breast cancer. I am also struggling with persistent pain in my right breast. It feels like I am being stabbed in the chest with severe burning in my armpit. My breast is very red and although I don't have a fever my breast feels like it does. I went to the emergency room two weeks ago and was diagnosed with cellulitis and I went back yesterday for the pain, redness,and swelling. Is this normal?

Rachael67 responded:
NO...My experience and the experience of most of the ladies who post would indicate that this isn't usual. Please call your doctor tomorrow and have him see you. I think you are battling an infection which needs to be addressed.

Holding you in my thoughts.

Blessings. Rachael

suert responded:
kksmom3-- I had a lumpectomy in august and mine hurt for quit awhile. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery. When I went back for my 1 week check, I was hurting really bad. The surgeon told me it could take up to 6 weeks before you are really healed. I still get some pain if I do to much. It was really hard to go back to work, the pain was really bad. I have been taking Lortab and it has worked for me. I still take it if I am in a lot of pain. The sports bra does work, it also help support the area where the incision is. Hope you will be feeling well soon. It won't be long now and you will be feeling less pain. Hope this helps you. Sue

suert responded:
This is not normal, you should contact your surgeon. The cellulitis could be a complication from the surgery. Even though you may not have a fever, the constant redness is a sign that something is wrong. Please contact your surgeon or nurse. Sue

kpage65 responded:
Thank you I will call the oncologist and the surgeon tomorrow. My surgeon had indicated that this might be from the fluids they put in to keep from having a hole. I did get IV antibiotics yesterday. They also gave me a prescription for levaquin.

I am really struggling with this. Does it get easier?

kpage65 responded:
Sue and Rachael,

I wanted you both to know that I went in to see my primary care and explained the situation. I have an appointment to see the oncologist and surgeon on Wednesday but I wanted to have them check to see if this was normal. Just ike in the ER they said this is not normal. I got more pain medsand she changed my antibotic. The prescriptions from the hospital were roughly $600 and I don't have insurance. I applied for medicaid and I am waiting for my numbers. They also gave me xanax and paxil. I have invasive ductal carcinoma stage 2 hormone positive her2 negative and I get my oncotype on Wednesday. I have a feeling I will need the chemotherapy in addition to the radiation.I have been struggling with this since I found the lump. I am divorced and my only child is a 115 lb chocolate lab named Sam. So it was good to be able to say this is what is happening and for you to validate what I thought.

Thank you and I will keep you in my thoughts

Kim

Rachael67 responded:
I am so glad that you got in to see the doctor! I hope the pain meds are helping and will keep you in my thoughts on Wednesday.

Regarding he expense of the meds, ask you medical team for samples until your "numbers" come through!! (Am sending good thoughts that this happens soon!) They usually have them. If not, see if you can get some from the pharmecutical companies. No sense for Sam to do without kibble or treats!!

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Blessings. Rachael

chibi0625 responded:
Hey that's awesome no cancer. I'm having the same problem right now. I just had a breast cyst removed and biopsied (came back no cancer as well plus had 5 other cysts drained 6 days ago and I'm still in pain. My doc told me I should be fine 2-3 days after surgery, but not to lift for than 30lbs for 2weeks, but I can hardly even bend over without it hurting. I have three kids and my husband is currently deployed my friend came out to help but she was only able to stay for a few days so I'm on my own and I really don't have time for this . I'm super frustrated and feel like a big baby

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center