Armidex -- any info??
Lynn1 posted:
Hi, so the pain with the Aromasin wa not getting any better. I called the onc today and he told me to stop taking it....wait 5-7 days....and then start taking Armidex.

Has anyone taken this drug? What kind of side effects can I expect?

Thanks!!

kayjoedwards responded:
There is a good site for arimidex and they have an interesting video about how it works. The video is at arimidex.com/arimidex-about/how-arimidex-works.aspx and if you go to the main arimidex.com site you can get lots more info.

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks now and have had no side effects at all. They say that the most common are hot flashes and joint aches.

kayjo

Lynn1 responded:
Hi kayjo! Thanks for the link! Very interesting to see the animation! I hope I won't have any side effects with this pill. I took Femara for almost 5 years with no side effects, but they put me on Aromasin and they started almost immediately and kept me out of work for 3 days last week. I am miserable right now and hope that these side effects will go away quickly now that I will stop taking it. Thanks again!

DiKay1024 responded:
Hi Lynn!

I finished my 5 years on Arimidex in July. I had very little in the way of side effects. I had some mild joint pain in my fingers for about the 1st year, but not bad enough to consider stopping the drug. toward the end of the first year it lessened and finally went away almost completely. I've had a little soreness in my joints since then, but always thought it was most likely arthritis, and am more convinced than ever that's the case since I've been off the meds almost 4 months now and it hasn't changed.

Good luck on the Arimidex! Blessings, Di

mimi2290 responded:
Hi Lynn, I have been on Arimidex for 4 1/2 years. I have bone/joint pain, which seems to be worse when I have been sitting for a while and then stand. I have had 3 major tooth infections while on Arimidex, carpal and tarsal tunnel,hot flashes, swelling and edema. All of these were manageable and have not caused me to miss even one pill. The benefits def outway the side effects. I am working full time, exercise every day for an hour. that is vigorous exercise like kickboxing, so it hasn't slowed me down at all. Not everyone has the same side effects, some have none. Hopefully you will have a good experience with it. Despite the issue I had/have, I still consider my experience a positive one, especially as that 5 yr mark approaches.

Roziee responded:
I was told I will have to go on Arimidex for 5 yrs and I will have to have an infusion of Zometa every 3 months. Has anyone had this and what are the side effects will that have? Roz

Lynn1 responded:
Hi, I have been taking Zometa every month for almost 5 years now. My best tip to you is to take 2 Tylenol about 10-20 minutes before they give you the IV. This will help with the side effects -- or at least it did for me. Hope this helps!

Lynn1 responded:
Hi Di, thanks for your post. I hope I can tolerate Armidex as well as I did the Femara. It is very interesting to me how similar drugs can affect you differently and how different each person reacts to it. Your story is good for me to hear - gives me hope!

Lynn1 responded:
Hi Mimi, you are such an inspiration! To have had all those challenges and yet still have your attitude. Kudos to you!! I will try and embrace your same attitude about this. I used to exercise all the time on Femara, but with the new bone mets and now the side effects from this pill, I haven't been in almost a month and I miss it. I hope to go back soon. Again, thank you for such an inspiring post!

Roziee responded:
Thanks Lynn It's great to be able to talk to someone who has gone through what you will be going through. It really helps a lot. Roz

izrhurt responded:
I was placed on Arimidex almost 3 years ago after lumpectomy and radiation. I got very sick, as in muscle pain and joint pains. After a few weeks, I asked my dr what what was going on because i couldn't keep taking this. I went off it and two weeks later was (thankfully) able to keep a scheduled trip to Las Vegas to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday.

A few weeks later, I was placed on Tamoxifen and have been taking it ever since with no problems. It is just that we are so different! Good luck to all. Lucy

An_253967 replied to mimi2290's response:
I have been taking anastrazole for less than a year and have developed tarsal tunnel syndrome in both ankles. What did you do about yours?

sam1985 responded:
This drug may make you dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Limit alcoholic beverages.

armenak responded:
I see this is posted 4 years ago, but still getting replies. I hope you are doing much better now. In July of 2012 FDA approved Afinitor to be used in combination with Aromasin.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/11306/fda-approves-afinitor-advanced-breast-cancer

What's interesting the pain factor was mentioned there. Dr. Wulffson here writes that that "The patients received treatment until their cancers progressed or side effects became unacceptable." Has your doctor mentioned anything about Afinitor?

Wishing a quick recovery.