Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fluid buildup after drains removed
kiwiallright posted:
Hi,

I had the bilateral Oct 21st, drains were draining under 30 cc so they were removed. I have now filled up with fluid especially on my left side and wondering if any of you had this happened and how it was handled. I am pretty sure they will want to drain it - just wondering what they do and how painful it will be.

Thanks

sadblossom responded:
Hi,

I had a lumectomy with 8 nodes removed. I had no drains and now have a fluid build up also. If has felt like a rolling pin under my arm. Anyway, on Monday my surgeon will be removng more tissue around the tumor site and will be draining the fluid by means of drawing it out by using a needle. I will be sedated and the area will be numbed. This is not my first time to remove more tissue from the breast but will be my first fluid draining procedure. My surgeon did not speak of this as being anything complicated. Actually she referred to it as being more of a simple thing to do. Being sedated and numbed works well for me. Been there/done that.

Hope this helps and please do not worry. It did not sound like anything to get alot of anxiety over or I would have it ! I am a big baby I think.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck and many blessings ! Pat~sadblossom

helpinghandOH responded:
You can expect that your surgeon will drain the fluid, if the volume is sufficient. The area will be numbed locally and then a needle and large syringe inserted to remove the fluid. This should go very quickly for you.

A few thoughts that might also help: make sure that you are sleeping with your head propped up; this will help the fluids drain down and get reabsorbed into your circulation and removed via the normal body processes. Ask your surgeon if you should have gentle compression. Following my surgery, I developed some swelling @ my surcigal site. I misunderstood my surgeon and took my compression bra off at night. That's what caused my problem. The gentle compression will also push the excess fluid back into your circulation. Please check with your surgeon first.

I hope this helps!

sadblossom responded:
This was some VERY good information !! I will even keep all this in mind, myself. I think my fluid accumulation was due to the fact that no one told me to keep working my arm after my node removal. I babied it and moved it only when absolutely necessary due to the discomfort it caused. Thank goodness a couple of weeks back I read on WedMD........to..........KEEP IT MOVING. Now I know why. Somehow my exercise therapist let me fall thru the cracks and gave me no instructions or info on the after effects/therapy/exercises for my arm.

I was very enlightened on the why's of this 'happening' from your post.

THANK YOU !!

Pat~sadblossom

mimi2290 responded:
Yikes, I know what you are going through. I didn't have drains ater my surgery. My docotr didn't believe in them, so I had the seroma and fluid build up three times and drained all three. That was an awful feeling, all that swishing and sloshing around, not to mention the huge bulge of fluid. I couldn't drive due to the pain and everything I did was uncomfortable. I'm almost 5 yrs out and I still think it builds up from time to time. I was doing arm exercises right after surgery and even that didn't help. A lot of it depends on how your body heals.

Annaviktoria responded:
Hi there, I had my bilateral mastectomy last November and also developed seroma in my Lt armpit. My surgeon did not want to drain it. He was concerned about possible infection after the procedure. He also said that seroma would usually go away on its own. Well, it was bothersome and I insisted on the procedure. It wasn't painful , I felt just one needle poke. I felt great for a day since it was no more pressure or pain. Unfortunately, the fluid was building up again and pretty fast. So, my doctor drained it two more times but couldn't get it out completely, since the fluid was very thick. Than I was following my doctors advice and left it alone. But I was always doing my arms exersize. I do not really know what helped, but in two months after the last draining my seroma was gone. So, for me it took about 4 months for this seroma to heel. Hope, this help a little. God bless. Nataliya.

kiwiallright responded:
Thank you all for your respones. Dr drained both side and took out about 50 cc each side. He said that was pretty good - averaged out at about 7 cc a day per side- The nurses are saying the more movement i have the more it will drain - I do find that by moving them more it is not as uncomfortable when I do. Thank you for all your advise. The draining did not hurt as I am still numb - problem is I have more fish to worry about at the moment. Thank you for all of your responses.

Mary -

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center