Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast Cancer Met to Liver
NOTMYBABE posted:
Hello Board, My daughter is 26 years old and with breast cancer StageIV met to liver had a mastectomy of her left breast and is now taking chemo... OMG everything happen so fast from the doctor telling me " Oh nothing to worry about she is to young for cancer" two weeks later getting the call saying it is Cancer,Mastectomy, Chemo!! these are things we read about it does not happen to us! Not my baby! Now I'm reading everything I can about cancer please I would welcome any kind of information you could give me. From what I'm reading Stage IV is the worst that it could be, I would love to hear from the survivals Please keep us in your prayers and I will pray for you all as well GOD IS IN CONTROL

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear one,

I'm sure others who have been there will be responding when they look in but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you to WebMD.

I'm so sorry for all you and your daughter are facing. As a mom of grown children myself, I can only imagine the heartache for you.

Sending healing thoughts to both of you. *softhugs*

millenah88 responded:
Hi, I was diagnosed with IV stage breast cancer this year. There were no signs, the blood tests were PERFECT (meaning every result was in the middle of the range == a textbook version!). They made genetic testing (it is very important!!!). When the biopsy came they told me the usual train of events: chemo, surgery and maybe radiation). I decided to get the second opinion at Johns Hopkins University. The doctor there looked at my tests and said: "You have estrogen related cancer, so you do not need any chemo, as it will not help" He put me on Femara and sure enough the pain was gone, they started infusing zometta (for osteoporosis and side effect of estrogen blocker Femara). I read a book by an oncological surgeon Dr. Blaylock on Cancer where he gives invaluable info about NUTRITION -- all other doctors do not care and some do not know and hide their ignorance. Nutrition and modification is very important for survival. I also take certain holistic remedies which brought my liver back to normal functioning. Check your doctors!!! Get second opinion. You may be surprized to find out how many ignorant MDs there are around who blindly follow some cancer protocol and kill people!!! Good luck. I will keep your daughter in my prayers. Cancer is not a sentence!!! NOOOO! It is a wake up call to change your life style and nutrition. I found out that estrogen related breast cancer may be caused by contraceptives or premarin... I am negotiating with lawyers about premarin involvement...

Good luck!

Oceans111 responded:
Hello My sister is 37 and has breast cancer (Stage iv) that spread to her liver. She has gained 20 pounds of fluid on her lower half of body. She had her 4th chemo (herceptin and taxol) treatment yesterday. She has 2 little girls and is in the fight of her life. We also changed her diet drastically. No sugar! Mostly organic foods. How is your daughter doing? Keep positive. I will pray for you too.

bonnets responded:
Hi, I can relate to your situation, as my daughter Amy was diagnosed at 27, with young children. There is a great support group I can refer you to, Mothers Supporting Daughters with Breast Cancer. This is a group of moms who share the difficult journey of breast cancer. Their address is www.mothersdaughters.org. I have found support on the friend to friend board here at Webmd, but this organization is just for us Mom's . If you would like to talk with me I will send on my email if you will post yours. I'm always there for other mothers and trying to educate young women and their families and doctors( who tell women just what they told you), that they CAN and DO get Breast Cancer.Hugs, Jean

Laney1120 responded:
I know how scared you are right now, thinking OMG in big bold letters. I was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer in May '07 after my doctor found a lump that did not show up on a mammogram or ultrasound and cancer cells had already spread to the sentinel nodes - I was so stunned I couldn't think, had been told 95% chance it was just a cyst. I had a mastectomy and all lymph nodes removed on the left side - as I am left handed and an artist, this was terrifying for me as I was told there could be nerve damage that could limit use of my arm. I then had chemo, which was rough but not as bad as I had expected. It has now been 2 years since the surgery and 1 1/2 years since I finished chemo, and so far I am still cancer-free. I did have some minor nerve damage and shakiness in my hand, but with exercise it has all but disappeared, only some lingering numbness in my chest and occasional tightness/cramping. Very important to do the physical therapy, and to continue it long term to keep your range of motion and to limit lymphodema. I will tell you that a positive attitude is very important. My oncologist told me after I had finished treatment that he had not expected me to make it through, because I also had other health problems that affected my chances, and he was sure that my attitude had helped a great deal - I was determined to survive it, and tried to laugh about all the weird things that happened that no one thinks to tell you about. Your daughter is very lucky to have you to help and support her, and that will also be a tremendous boost to her chances of survival. You will find that you will get a lot of support from everyone, from family to complete strangers, and many, many prayers. God bless and keep you both. Laney

stageIVned responded:
Good luck to your baby!!!! I had HER2+ (hormone receptor negative) stage IV breast cancer with bone and liver mets at the age of 31. After 6 months of chemo and Herceptin I was in complete remission (no evidence of disease) and have remained that way ever since. I did a mastectomy and radiation after chemo; and have been on Herceptin (HER2+) and Zometa (bones) ever since. Will never be cured, but I'm enjoying life, my hubby and my babies!!!! Below is a link to an article I wrote about my diagnosis, I am also a group leader at this site.

www.mdjunction.com/breast-cancer/articles/too-young-for-breast-cancer

ddaviesedd responded:
I know you are freaking out right now, but you - or someone - needs to keep focused on the main issue right now: helping your daughter survive. I am a 2 year survivor, only stage II. But I know many people who have survived not one, but 2 bouts of cancer and are middle-aged now. There are survivors who had 2 kinds at once! A women in our neighborhood had br.cancer 2 separate times, years apart and is still kickin' it, and that was many years ago before there were some of the treatments we have now.

It's OK to have the occasional "pity party", but you all need to collect yourselves and gear up for literally the fight of your lives.

You and your daughter, family and friends have to look at this as a war and you - your daughter in particular - has to win it. She needs to keep telling herself she will do whatever she has to do to win. Period. It will not be pleasant. It will scare you to death. Take a big breath, as often as you need. Remember there are people who have gone through a lot worse and survived. With every treatment, whatever it is think: "I am kicking some cancer butt! I am a warrior! Now you've made ME mad. I am going to win!" Reach in and pull out the fighter. She is young, and yes it will change her life as she knows it. But being young is a huge advantage, too. She will heal faster, she will get well faster than older patients.

You are doing the right thing by educating yourself as much as you can. Keep focused on that. It will help keep you feeling sane, it will help you understand what is going on and why the doctors do what they do.

You will be frightened by all the illness and side effects from the treatments, but remember most people don't get them all, and they are usually manageable and temporary. Most women are really concerned with their appearance, losing their hair in particular. It grows back, mine grew back a few months after the end of chemo (the poor little follicles were in shock for a while). I had pretty bad neuropathy in my feet, but it went away, too. I had a mastectomy, also, and an implant. It bugged my for a while, but now it doesn't feel that different. If these things upset your daughter, you remind her it's a temporary discomfort. (I had the flu 2 weeks after starting chemo, it wasn't fun -the flu never is- but kept doing chemo anyway.)

It's all really confusing right now. Take lots of notes, take them with you to see the doc's. You'll get in there and forget to ask something. Don't feel intimidated or like they are stupid questions. The medical staff are usually really good and helpful but they don't know what you need unless you ask. I also think they deal with this stuff so much, every day, that they forget it's all new to the new patient. They are not callous or uncaring, they forget you don't know what they know.

Remember that even as she is going through this, she may not want to be "cancer girl" everywhere. She may just want to be "normal" some of the time. It's a nice break from the reality. Allow her to go and do as much as she can. Don't hover in public, don't tell people, don't ask how she feels, it's annoying. She'll tell you if she needs to leave.

Summer is upon us, and the heat will make her feel worse. In fact, some of the drugs may not play well with the sun. When I got overheated, I'd feel really nauseous. Keep cool.

Things can get really crazy; you'll be spending so much time and effort on this battle. Get organized now. Assign tasks to others who can help. If you do all the bills, have someone else do, or help - just keeping you company. You can get overwhelmed. The everyday things don't go away. The pets still need to be taken care of, the yard, etc. If you can't get to things, ask for help. There are lots of people who want to help you, but just don't know what to do and are scared to talk to you (it might make you feel worse).

It was only after I was diagnosed that I learned how many had walked in my shoes.

BettyCaro responded:
Hi: I am so sorry to hear about your daughter, you have very hard times ahead of you but they will only make stronger. I am a cancer survivor who was diagnose at age 26 with breast cancer met to Lymph nodes, today after 20 years, chemo, radio, and a lumpectomy I can say that I am cancer free. So there is hope, do not despair, first thing that I can advise you and your daughter whatever your believes are reach and seek their help. There is nothing that science can do if you do not have your mind and your soul committed also. Trust her doctors if you don't, seek other opinions, in fact they should encourage your daughter to do so from the beginning. A book I recommend highly "You can heal your life" by Louise Hay. Nutrition is very important eat as healthy as possible and exercise whenever possible just a little walk everyday can do wonders for your body, your mind and your soul. Set little goals every day so you will have something to wakeup to the next day, do not let cancer rule your life, it is your decision to die before it kills you or to live until it does or it doesn't. Sounds horrible to think about death being so young but instead of thinking why me in a negative way, think about about it in a positive way, you must be special that is why..... And so is your family because cancer is a family illness everyone around you suffers so be positive and whatever the outcome make sure there are not regrets.. My daughter was 6 months old today she is a Senior in college, I only asked God to let me celebrate her first b'day, then 1st day at pre-school and that kept me going. I wish you the best and you can contact me any time if I can be of help.

djmelt responded:
Hi there, My name is Donna and I was diagnosed with Stage IV b/c in Aug. 2005. I had mets to my vertebrea and now to my lung. I am very stable right now and have more fatigue than anything. I am so sorry to hear that one so young has joined our ranks. I know as a parent, that you are devestated. I want you to remember one very important thing about stage IV b/c. It is NOT an automatic death sentence. Medicine has come so far just in the last 10 years, even since I was diagnosed, that you're daughter will survive this. Nobody can garantee how long, but If she is a fighter and stubborn, She will make it through her chemo, radiation, medication, whatever her treatment plan is.

If you would like to talk to my mother, my email address is djmelton57@yahoo.com. She will be happy to talk with you. You and your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and Gentle Hugs, Donna

kkb22 responded:
I haven't seen you post lately, was wondering how your daughter is doing. I just wanted to let you know that I also had cancer to the liver.

To make a long story short I am now cancer free after 6 months of treatment. I hope this will give you courage and a more of a sense of peace.

Hoping that all is going much better for you.

tbtoto responded:
thank you so much for sharing your article with us here....... i just found out my best friend has this disease and dont know what i can do to help her..... please let me know if you have any advice

Thanks

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center