Invasive Medullary Breast Cancer
An_188565 posted:
In May 2006 I was diagnosed with invasive medularry breast cancer. It was found during my yearly mammogram. I was told it was found early and was quite small. I had a lumpectomy with a lymphnode dissection.Cancer was found in my lymphnodes. It was ER+?PR+. I had chemotherapy and radiation treatment after the surgery.

My question is, how did it get into my lymphnodes so quickly?

rachael67 responded:
I am sorry that you are having to join our club, but glad that you have...Here you will find caring and supportive folks who will do all they can to ease your path. And with our new format, we have a doctor along as well!

To address your question the lymph nodes, as I understand it, are sort of guards. They are the first place infections and nasty things flow to from the spot they originated. I look on them as filters protecting the rest of the body. By stopping the disease there, the other organs are spared.

If this is incorrect, I am sure that other members or the doctor will set me straight.

Am I correct in assuming that you are doing well now since apparently this happened in 2006?

Blessings.
Rachael

JoyceAnn51 replied to rachael67's response:
RachaelI67: I am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I am doing well since my diagnosis and treatment, except for memory, cognitive, focusing problems. I thought this would go away, but it hasn't, in fact my family says it has gotten worse.

My lymphedema is concentrated in my right hand and some in the arm, but mostly the hand. It swells and huts when used often. I have gloves I wear to keep the swelling under control. I do not allow it to cramp my lifestyle, but it is frustrating.

Thank you for your comments, and blessings to you.

JoyceeAnn1

jenna291 replied to JoyceAnn51's response:
JoyceAnn, sorry you are having these issues with lymphedema. Are you on any medication?
My memory has never been quite the same after chemo. I do believe there is such a thing as "chemo brain" as so many good cells are killed in order to catch the bad ones.
Sometimes when I am looking for something I have to look away and then go back to the same place to see it. I am in a support group with 8 other women who complain of similar issues, so I know I'm not crazy.
We pray for the day when treatment will not reach such havoc on us, better yet for a cure for this miserable disease.
Hope your symptoms improve with time.
best ~
Jenna

vajanie replied to jenna291's response:
Hello to All,
I agree with both of you concerning chemo brain. I finished chemo in December, first Taxotere and Cytoxan, in the hospital awhile with complications from that, then Taxol. I'm 68 years old and had slight memory problems before, but never like this. Fixing breakfast this morning, just oatmeal was a challenge, getting the oatmeal box out of the pantry, boiling water, then putting the box back in the pantry without ever using it, then wondering where it was. Yesterday I saw my internist, a very kind woman, and was trying to describe where my pain was, I completely lost the name of a major organ. I was pointing to the area of pain, she sat calmly looking at me as my face turned red, I became almost frantic, finally pointing and saying to her "it's right here, it starts with an "H". It was my liver. She supplied the right word for me.
I often find myself in a room, looking around for a clue as to why I went there. I guess all I can do is laugh about it and hope it gets better.
JoyceAnn, I wish you luck in dealing with your lymphedema. I don't have it but understand it can happen even years after surgery. I have axillary web syndrome in the left arm (mastectomy side). Physical therapy helped some with that.
Jenna, hope you're well and I join you in wishing for a cure, and kinder, gentler treatment for those who have it.
Best to you,
Janie

I