Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Clinical studies for Arimidex
trinety3 posted:
Does anyone know where I could get information regarding the actual clinical studies done on Arimidex? I would like to know what the re occurrence percent is with or without the drug. Thank you !!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DiKay1024 responded:
Try the National Cancer Institute site at www.cancer.gov It has lots of info on clinical trials.

Also the treatment tools on mayoclinic.com or the american cancer society site may have statistics for various treatments. On these you plug in your path info and it tells you treatment options available for your cancer type.

Good luck!

Blessings, Di

rachael67 replied to DiKay1024's response:
Hey, Di...this might be something to list in the Tips!

Rachael

trinety3 replied to DiKay1024's response:
Thank you so much Di, appreciate your response. Yes, Rachael, it would be a good tip!!!

sadblossom responded:
Hi trinety,
I believe if I am correct that your precentage of reoccurrance with Arimidex will depend on your 'individual' percentage according to the results of your own personal 'genomics' test. This is a test done on your cancer tissue when it is/was removed. I was given a precentage or reoccurance based on my genomics test with or without the Arimidex. My results were 'low' for reoccurance. I too am suppose to take this drug but I have not started taking it yet. I have an appointment with one of my 3 dr's on Monday and I am going to inquire as to what percentage I have once started on the drug. If once all the math is done on my test results and the drug's percentage is not a markable amount I will opt not to take the drug. In other words, why go thru 5 years of misery on the drug if it will not increase my chances enough to be worth it. I will be glad to pass along the general info I find out on Monday if that will help you. Also you might ask your doctor if a genomics test was done on your tissue. This will answer alot of questions. It is an expensive test but I consider it worth it as it also tells them how aggressive to treat your cancer. My low chance of reoccurance is why I was treated by radiation with no chemo.

~Smiles. :>}
Pat~sadblossom

rachael67 replied to sadblossom's response:
Pat, did you happen to see the question I posted to Dr. Kelly regarding the possible use of the Oncotype test for the anti-hormone txs? This post of yours seems to speak to just that...They give a different test ("genomic") but it supplies the same kind of answers regarding efficacy?

Rachael

sadblossom replied to rachael67's response:
Hello Rachael,

I just now found your question/post to Dr. Kelly but I found no reply from him ??????????????

Pat~sadblossom

It is my understanding that the experts only come to the boards once a week or so. Hopefully when he comes here again, he'll respond.

Blessings.
Rachael

sadblossom replied to rachael67's response:
ok, I will keep a watch for his reply. I am still learning my way around on here. :>} I am interested in any information on that subject. I want to be as educated as possible. I too want to know how much the Arimidex will increase my chances of no reocurrance. You probably have followed my posts, have you an opinion on that question? I go thru all that I have then get 'caught up' in the THAT pill delimna. But on Monday I plan to have the doc sit down and 'draw me a picture' of all my questions, because as I have read you post.............they do not 'over-info' us and sometime we need more info.

~Smiles. :>}
Pat~sadblossom

trinety3 replied to sadblossom's response:
Pat, thank you for your response. My cancer is Stage 1, Grade 1 0 nodes. My Oncologist told me that my chances for re-occurrence is 15% due to clear margins and 0 nodes. The cancer was lobular invasive. She also told me that by taking the Arimidex it would give me an additional 7 % chance of non- re-occurrence. This 7 % doesn't seem worth it to me giving the side effects etc of Arimidex. I am post menopausal and have had enough hot flashes etc. not looking forward to more. My biggest concern is bone loss and blood clots. I am curious as to clinical studies on Arimidex as I have two friends who also chose not to take it due to the low percentages. Good luck on your decision. I have not yet started radiation treatments, most likely in another week. Chemo would have given me an additional 1% hardly worth it. The lumpectomy went well and am still healing. Knowledge is power, and I have been researching my situation so I can make the right decisions for me. So much information!!! God Bless U all in your journey!!!

shirlrae replied to trinety3's response:
I had a double mastectomy in November and have been on Arimidex. I can tolerate the side affects,but where I live in Minnesota it is $479.00 a month. This is the reason I have to switch to Tamoxifen. I was on it before and felt a lot better and not nearly the side affects. I talked with my Pharmacist and he said if he had to make a choice it would be Tamoxifen because there is very little difference between the two except for the side affects. Many insurance companies have stopped covering Arimidex because of the price and women on Medicare hit the donut hole in only 4 to 5 months. It could go generic this summer,but the price will not drop my much until another company manufactures it.

miarka replied to shirlrae's response:
I'm losing my insurance in August and I'm on Arimidex. I heard somewhere here that it is $29 per month in Canada. Does anyone have any information on this? My prescription in VA is currently $393, so ridiculous without insurance. I won't take Tamoxifen though. Been there done that. Horrible drug.

sadblossom replied to trinety3's response:
Hi Trinity3,
I saw my radiation dr yesterday and he pulled all my files and records on computer and showed me a graph of 'my EXACT' percentage of recurrance............with taking Arimidex I have an 8% chance of recurrance and WITHOUT Arimdex I have a 17% of recurrance. He said that in his opinion that was definetley enough marked difference to start taking the pill. And being that my cancer was/is Invasive Ductal Carcenoma. Can you believe it, I finally got an EXACT name for my cancer ! And......I was Stage 2 Grade 2. So with this being said, I have opted to take the pill. He also told me that Arimidex would NOT cause blood clots or uterine cancer. He said Tamoxin could cause those but that Arimidex would not and I locked him into this statement. I mean, as in, he was absolutely SURE that neither of those two side effects would arrouse, he said a big flat NO. He did say that I may have hot flashes BUT sense I have not has a problem with them up to now and I was post menopausal, that I may not even have a probloem with them on the pill. Also, I may have joint pain especially sense I have RA but he said that may subside in a few weeks. This is all basically what my oncologist told me before but I needed to have another opinion. So, I will start the pill tomorrow. And thank goodness for good insurance. A 90 day supply of Arimidex thru our insurance mail off pharmacy is only 45.00.

And reading on down into the posts listed here, it is so odd that what one doctor states to a patient is so different than what another doctor may state to a different patient.

He also said that considering what all I have been thru the past several months that it will take me 2 more months to totally heal from radiation and the ruptured seroma. And.........2 more years to get things back to normal in my breast and in my arm pit/arm but that everything looked ok and was healing but just doing it slowly. I finished my rads in Jan. so that will be a total of 4 months to heal.

My doctors do approve reading WebMD.

Just thought I would give you an update after my dr's appt.
Post me anytime if I can be of any help to you or anyone.

Smiles~:>}
Pat~sadblossom

trinety3 replied to sadblossom's response:
I checked online Canadian Pharmacy http://www.canadianpharmacymeds.com/ 98 pills 1 mg. generic is $299.00. The arimidex is $499.00 for 84 pills l mg. How is a person suppose to afford this without prescription insurance? There must be some help out there. Will keep checking and post you all. I live 70 miles from the Canadian border but you can also buy it online. I am not certain that I will be taking it as my percentage is 7% not sure if it is worth it. Good luck all.. Thanks for your replies.

God Bless

Ah, Pat! You sound like you have finally gotten enough informaiton to make a comfortable choice. (Yes, I am sure there is some amount of "wait and see" written between the lines. But...You sound much more relaxed.) How super! Sitting on a fence is never comfortable...especially a picket fence!! Ouch!!

Isn't it amazing, too, how having a name forr something (even tho' it doesn't change the circumstances) can make a difference?!

Well, I do hope that all goes smoothly with the pills. I'm sure there are many who will be following your saga so keep us updated!

Blessings and thanks for sharing!

Rachael

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center