Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New and scared!!
Rukia44 posted:
I am a 42 mom. We got the news 3 days before my son's 16 b-day. I've also been married to the same man for over 21 yrs. Life hasn't been very kind to me, but this?11 I'm still recovering from the 2cd op. I got really good news though, it has not spread to the lymps!! Now I'm dealing with some pretty bad nerve damage, but I can cope with that, being that this first round has turned out as good as could be hoped for! I also cope with Bi-polar, thyroid, and Fybromiagia disorders. my first appt with my Oncologist on Th. I have no family and really no close friends close by, I'm really going to need kind support and I'm a good listener too. I look forward the reaching out. Thanks.

freefeather responded:
Rukia44..
Hi there! here you are not alone. There are to many of us to keep you busy and informed and we care and we listen very very well.
Your nerve damage comes with the surgery, it will forever be your reminder. Everyone is different...myself...it has been 5 years and I still have nerve damage in both sides, the first was in 2000 on my left side and it is pretty much back to normal, the surgery in 2005 is still keeping me informed on my right. And an itch will keep you buggered!

As for your bi-polar I can only walk from one's journey of dealing with someone dear who has it in the family. Please do not go off your drug therapy as tempting as it may be at times...if necessary find a new one that works...this isn't advice for us who live with it but for those who deal with it 24/7...YOU! LOL.

I was thinking at one point during and after my chemo treatments in 2005-06 I might have fibroid problems cuz every bone, muscle & joint in my body hurt...had tests done and they were negative...Thank God. I was responding to the lovely cocktails in the chemo treatments...they lasted for some time after wards...I continued to take pain meds for it and as soon as I stopped the meds wahlah! No more hurt! Go figure.

Be strong and be good to your self than the rest of the world will follow!

FF

sadblossom responded:
Hi Rukia !
Welcome if you have not been here before. This is an awsome site with some of the most fantastic people !! We all help each other and I haven't encountered one person that I didn't like ! There is support, compassion, education and even some humor. You will love it here and it will grow to become a sanctuary. It is my refuge when I feel low and worried. I am sooooo thankful I found it and can not imagine how I would have managed all this without it.

Back to you..........Not in the nodes, FANTASTIC !!!!! Nerve damage, yes, that hits home. I have my share of that too. Sense I had a lumpectomy and 8 nodes removed, my nerve damage is just on my right side. BUT...........even with me having a lumpectomy and node removal, I still have nerve damage as my right arm pit and arm still have numbness/tenderness/sensitivity and even pains from time to time. I had 3 surgeries to get to clear margins on the same tumor site plus the node removal incision that once healed was ruptured open again from the inside out from a seroma that ruptured and was infected. That was during radiation treatments which was an ordeal because of it. That made for complications during radiation. And I am still healing from all that. I finished radiation in January.
Your other issues I am familiar with also..........I have fybroidmyalgia and Rhumatoid and hypothyroidism. And there is bi-polar disorder in my family, a VERY close relative. Not an easy rode I know. It seems when my cancer was found all my other problems started having problems. What a circle of NO fun !!!
Your first oncologist appt will be ok, I was nervous about mine too but it was fine. I have 3 doctors now, my oncologist, my radiation doctor and my surgeon. Hopefully Rachael will put you on pinkie bus for Thursday. I know she will find your post and explain it to you in case you do not already know. In fact I need to catch a ride on that bus for Monday when I see my radiation doctor for a post-radiation check up.
I am sorry you have no family or friends close by. Even more a better reason to let us on this site become your family/friends to help lend you support and friendship thru what you are and will be going thru. These wonderful people on here are so good at it. They have been there for me and me for them.
Please come here often and read other posts as many times that can be sooooooo helpful. And feel free to post often yourself, ask questions, offer info or just say hello. Someone is always here to answer !
Take care and stay in touch !
~Smiles.:>}
Pat~sadblossom

sadblossom replied to freefeather's response:
freefeather,
You know the ITCH !!!! Goodness I have posted so many times looking for someone who understood the itch problem I have had sense I finsihed radiation in January. It has been AWFUL !! Like a yeast infection under my arm/node incision. Some days are worse than others. I have tried many things to help, but hydrocortizone cream and corn starch give more relief than anything so far. PLEASE tell me what all has worked for you????
Pat~sadblossom

freefeather replied to sadblossom's response:
Pat...wow! If your having an itch that is as severe as you are describing tell your doctor asap! I did and I do have the under the skin itch in the arm pit area . I read that you have fybroidmyalgia and Rhumatoid and hypothyroidism...you know a medication your taking may be contributing to the present itch. I say this because I found whenever I took a pain med I itched more and more intense as well. Using cortizone was a big help for me but getting rid of the pain meds was my answer to the bigger picture. So I'am so sorry I have no quick fix answer to give you other than what you already are doing. Talk to your Oncologist and or your Rheumotologist cuz it really sounds like your nerves in the arm pit area have been compromised to me. God walk beside you and guide you.

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center