Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Evista warning
BAnne64 posted:
Hello - I just wanted to post this because as a 64 year old woman who took Evista and then got breast cancer I am concerned about the advertising which suggests Evista may prevent breast cancers...I just want women to be aware of the risks involved with taking this medication...my first request from my physician after being diagnosed with Stage II breat cancer (which I found myself, a mammogram did not detect this) was to stop taking the Evista...I am curious about other experiences...thank you

564deb responded:
I also took Evista for about 1 year before being diagnosed with breast cancer. ?My cancer is triple negative which means it is not hormonally driven, but........my surgeon also advised me to discontinue the use of the Evista when I was diagnosed. ?

Funny, isn't it that I avoided taking HRT for menopause and suffered through about 8 years of hot flashes. ?I did this to avoid breast cancer. ?Then I got on the Evista for bone density because I was told it would reduce my chances of getting breast cancer by 40% or so. Both of these things that I thought I was doing right and what do you know........I still got breast cancer.
Go figure!
Deb

freefeather replied to 564deb's response:
I am so sorry Deb and BAnne64 for the misleading results you received from those professionals you and I place our trust in..especially concerning drug therapy. I do realize so much is in the experimental stages concerning cancer cures....but please do not place that burden on those of us who will reap what your products sow.

I strongly advocate that one do a lot of research on any drug therapy suggested before accepting it to be applied to your body! At one point I was taking Evista. I could not tolerate the side effects so I took it upon myself to discontinue it...funny...my Oncologist did not argue.

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center