Skip to content
Pain in the breast after one year of the surgery?
SOGNY posted:
Hi, I had a lumpectomy last year in two sites of my right breast did the sentinel biopsy , result negative and clear margins surgery. I was recommended radiation therapy but I couldn't get my self to do it. My cancer was stage 0, ductalcarcinoma in situ, high grade. Now it has been 18 months after the surgery and I have been having some pain on my right breast around the area treated , stays and go, some days are more unconfortable. Does anyone have experienced pain in the surgery site often after the surgery?
Is it normal? I have to go for mamo follow up and I am really affraid what the resultad will be?

sadblossom responded:
Hello, I had my breast surgeries/3 of them, last year as well. I did have radiation and had lumpectomy and 2 more surgeries to get to clear margins, had 8 nodes removed, 2 were positive. I had grade 2 stage 2, 2cm tumor..................and............YES, I still have pain in the surgery site from time to time. I have all along. According to my doctors that is normal for a good while, possibly for 2 years or more. The breast is a tender area and can have damaged nerves/tissue that cause 'after-pains' for a good length of time. Could even be scar tissue in such a sensitive place. Please get back with us tho and let us know what you find out.
Best of luck, stay positive.
~Smiles:>}
Pat~sadblossom

ksrose responded:
I had surgery (lumpectomy) 6 months ago. With a sentinal node biopsy. Then I had 34 treatments of radiation. I now have a severe lymph infection. My breast has been very painful and I have reported the pain to my surgeon as well as my oncologist. They said it is pretty typical and should start to subside after about a year. Ksrose

kiwiallright replied to ksrose's response:
I had pain inside the breast that occurred when I lifted something - or was straining and if I turned the wrong way I had this pain shoot through my breast - last year had the breasts removed and the pain has started again and I think that it has something to do with radiaiting the chest wall muscle as that is where the pain seems to be coming from and all the tissue is gone, I have gone to an occupational therapist who is schooled in BC therapy where she has massaged the muscle to loosen it up somewhat.

kiwiallright responded:
SOGNY

I am like you and worry about when I am off to take tests - I always try to be positive but overcoming our fears of cancer returning is not an easy thing to do but I just tried to look on the positive and think if we get it early my chances are better than if it has spread everywhere else. I have a friend who I am pretty sure has BC, will not see about it, also fear can be conquered - we have to look at life from the prospective of this - if we are in a car accident do we never drive again because of the fear that we will get in another accident - I say No --

Also your pain could be scar tissue - massage it to help loosen up the scar tissue - it hurts less the more you rub or massage it.

Good luck with your mammogram

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center