Skip to content
ANYONE KNOW ABOU T LATISSIUMUS DORSI FLAP RECONSTRUCTION?
saladin10 posted:
Anyone know about the Latissiums Dorsi Flap Reconstruction?
I had a bilateral mastectomy with expander implants in October, 2009. I am scheduled to have the expanders taken out and the implants put in in July 2010. And due to the fact that I had a breast radiated 12 years ago the tissue and muscle are not strong enough to support the implant.
Best Wishes,

rachael67 responded:
Unfortunately there is little I can respond on this, but am "bouncing" it back to the top so that others who might have answers are reminded, and you don't slip through the cracks.

Please know you are in our hearts...and keep us posted as to how you are doing. Okay?

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

JanetinGA responded:
I had this reconstruction surgery in May this year. It went very well. Took about 3 weeks of solid recovery was able to get up and move around but stayed on pain pills). I am preparing for the final implants in a few weeks.

saladin10 replied to JanetinGA's response:
JanetinGA,
Thank you for replying. It is good to hear that you are able to get around. I hope your disconfort eases up very soon. I am sure everything will go well wiith your final implants. May I stay in touch?

I am nervous and anxious and I just want to get this thing over. I just didn't know what to expect on how I would do with my muscle missing in my back.

I was supposed to have this surgery done tomorrow and well that is another story. The plastic surgeon was to remove my expanders and put in the silicone implants and do the Latissiums Dorsi Flap Reconstruction.

I am not sure when this will be rescheduled.
I am having a weak moment.
Big Hugs,

route66nut responded:
Saladin10: I had this surgery in March of this year. I was off of pain pills 3 days post-surgery and taking over-the-counter Ibuprofen, back to work full duty 3 weeks post-surgery. I've gone thru the expansion injections and am scheduled for the 2nd surgery (removal of expanders, put in implant, create nipple, make opposing breast symmetrical) in September. I can't tell any difference in my back strength (or lack thereof) as a result of having this surgery. So far everything has gone well and I have absolutely no regrets for choosing the latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction.

saladin10 replied to route66nut's response:
route66nut,
Thank you for your resposne. It is so good to hear that you are doing well.
Best Wishes and Take care,

twokidsnodog responded:
Yes, I had Latissimus Dorsi Flap Reconstruction immediately following mastectomy - a surgery of many hours. I had it 17 years ago and am very happy that I did it. Felt good in my clothing, have a cleavage, wear regular bras and felt "normal". However, my non operative side has started to "age" (i.e. "go South") the reconstructed side did not so I am considering a "lift" for the non-operative side to get more even. Some women express concern about reduced muscle in one's back....I am unaware of any effect on motion or mobility....well, actually, my tennis game did improved.

sukando2003 replied to saladin10's response:
Keep your chin up Saladin! I have been contemplating the same surgery for quite a while. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are making out. God Bless!

departirconfite responded:
My experience is from having attended a meeting called "Image Reborn," sponsered by Kaiser Permanente, with a panel of five ladies who had undergone mastectomies w/immediate reconstruction. Each one told of their experience with cancer. After the meeting anyone who wanted to stay to see the type of work their plastic surgeons had done, got to see the ladies with their tops off. Of course they made all the husbands/boyfriend go out. The reconstruction consisted of almost all types of surgery, including a lady who had the Latissiums Dorsi Flap Reconstruction. Her surgery went well and it looked pretty darn good, except for the scarring, but that goes away with time. All the ladies there were very happy with the outcome of their surgeries and they all said they would do it again in a heart beat. All their boobies looked really good and none of them were wearing bras! So, that gave me some hope in that there is life after a mastectomy w/immediate reconstruction. If you've undergone the procedure, I hope it went well. Blessings be yours.

saladin10 replied to twokidsnodog's response:
twokidsnodog,
I am so glad you are doing well and I understand the south thing.
I had bilaterial mastectomy. So I was to have Latissimus Dorsi Flap on my left breast that was radiated 12 years ago to support the silicone implant. that was the first of July. Unfortunately my PS threw me under the bus just a week out from the surgery so I am in the process of finding another PS. Since this happened I started thinking about when that PS ask if I wanted a Latissimus Dorsi on my right breast so the breast would be more symmetrical. I have had these expanders in since last October and they are driving me crazy. I should have had them replaced in March and I believe now that the PS was just putting me off.
Anyway we are still keeping on wtih the keeping on.
It is good to hear that this sugery has not affected your mobility-great to hear about your tennis game.
You go for your lift, Girl! Your thoughts are welcome any time. Big Hugs, Barb:)

saladin10 replied to sukando2003's response:
Sukando 2003,
Thank you for your reply. I am experiencing technical difficulies in that I am looking for another PS to take over. I will keep you posted. Big Hugs,

saladin10 replied to departirconfite's response:
departironfie,
Thank you so much for sharing. I wish we had something like that to attend-that would be so great!
I had a bilaterial mastectomy last October with the expanders. It was determined that my left breast area which was radiated 12 years ago would not be able to support (skin and chest muscel) the silicone implant of 320cc and so I was to have the Latissiums Dorsi Flap on the left side and the silicone implant placed in the right breast area. Due to changes in my right breast I decided to have a bi-laterial mastectomy-
I like the thoughs of the immediated reconstruction. Stay in Touch and Big Hugs,

purpleshu2 replied to saladin10's response:
Hi,

I came across your post whilst doing some research on bilateral mastectomy with latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction. My sister may be having that procedure and we are very concerned to know what is the impact on one's body (shoulder, back, spine etc) in years to come. She was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer as part of a screening a month after I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

We are so grateful for any help or insights anyone has. Or even anyone who would be willing to talk more with us.

We live in Australia.

Thanks very much!!!

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center