Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recovery time after Diep Flap procedure
Mamack posted:
I am a seven year survivor re diagnosed two months ago. I am scheduled for a left side mastcectomy in two weeks. I am concerned about pain, recovery time and returning to work. Any and all advice wanted. Thanks

SunnyLV responded:
I am also a seven year survivor who was diagnosed this spring with a second primary in the opposite breast. Was Stage1A the first time and this time StageIIB. t took 3 surgeries to get clear margins and I am hopeful all the cancer is gone. If not I may be faced with the decision to have a mastectomy on my left side in the future so I have looked at what my options would be. I have read about the Diep Flap procedure and listened to a lecture on LBBC regarding reconstruction which was very interesting. It sounds like a good option if you can find a surgeon in your area and one I myself would be interested in. I am sorry I have no advice to give you but I do wish you the best and would like to know how you do. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hsmitty responded:
Mamack,
I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis! I am not a survivor of cancer, but I do have the BRCA1 genetic mutation for it. I had the DIEP surgery in December of last year and it took me 2 full months to recover. The doctors did the mastectomy and reconstruction all at once. I found a group called FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered) who helped me understand the different surgeries. They have their own website as well as a Facebook page. There is also a group on Facebook call the BRCA Sisterhood that was a great source of support through the tangled journey. I hope this helps so that you have some resources. I found them to be most informative and comforting. My best to you!

Hsmitty responded:
Mamack,
I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis! I am not a survivor of cancer, but I do have the BRCA1 genetic mutation for it. I had the DIEP surgery in December of last year and it took me 2 full months to recover. The doctors did the mastectomy and reconstruction all at once. I found a group called FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered) who helped me understand the different surgeries. They have their own website as well as a Facebook page. There is also a group on Facebook call the BRCA Sisterhood that was a great source of support through the tangled journey. I hope this helps so that you have some resources. I found them to be most informative and comforting. My best to you!

Hsmitty replied to SunnyLV's response:
Sorry for the multiple replies, the site kept saying it didn't post.

rachael67 replied to Hsmitty's response:
Never concern yourself for multiple postings...Most of us have done the same thing at some point. Thanks for caring enough to keep trying...that's what counts!!

blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Hsmitty's response:
Hi Mamack,

Congratulations on remaining a strong survivor for 7 years. I am wishing you many more healthy years following your procedures.

For more information on Diep Flap surgery as well as recovery time, you mike appreciate the article on tissue flap surgery for breast reconstruction found on WebMD's Health Center. There is another article on Types of Mastectomy that may interest you with some general information, as well.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing! ((Hugs))

~Andie

P.S--> Hsmitty, Rachael's right...don't worry about multiple postings. Darn technology sometimes! I, or one of the other mods will come across it & hide any duplicates (like I've done here) and make things all nice and pretty again.

Sometimes it may take a day or two, especially on a weekend, before we see it so if you'd like to speed up the process you can always alert us by clicking the Report This link.

luvmylabradors responded:
Hi,
I just read your post, sorry I didn't see it earlier. I am imagining that you are either getting ready to or have recently had the surgery. I hope all went well. I am a 2 1/2 year survivor, I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and one year later I had a bilateral DIEP Flap. The recovery from the mastectomy was not too bad physically, emotionally was a bit harder. The pain was not too bad either, from what I can remember. I did have some problems with using my left hand for awhile because I had to have a sling to keep me from using my left arm.
For the DIEP Flap the recovery was much more dramatic. You are in the hospital for at least 5 nights, you don't remember most of it because you are on an IV drip of morphine. After that the recovery for the next two weeks is rough. It does get better each day, but there is alot of pain, mainly in the stomach area where the doctor performed the tissue transfer. It was difficult to get in and out of bed without assistance because again they do not want you to use your arms for pulling. I was fortunate to have round the clock care at home from my daughters and sister.
Good luck to you and I hope your surgery goes well. Please let me know if you have any questions I will be glad to help!
Beth

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center