Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SAVI Device for brachytherapy radiation
judyfams posted:
Has anybody had any experience with the SAVI device as shown on "The Doctors" TV show last week?

It is used to deliver targeted internal radiation into a lumpectomy site which greatly minimizes radiation spreading to surrounding healthy tissue.

I have checked out the website that makes the device www.ciannamedical.com and it sounds great and I am seriously considering this.

Anybody know anything about this?
Thanks,
Judy

kayjoedwards responded:
My understanding is that brachytherapy is the general term for this type of radiation treatment. SAVI is a type of catheter. Besides SAVI there are at least 2 other types of catheters that I know of...mammosite and contura. Each of these has a slightly different shape or number of branches that can be used to target radiation to exactly the place the radiation oncologist specifies.
I was planning for mammosite after my lumpectomy but couldn't have it because they found something else and I had a mastectomy. A friend was part of a study using mammosite and she was very happy with it. Only 5 days and she had no problems or side effects.
You can talk to the radiation oncologist about which catheter is right for your situation. Much depends on where the lump was, if it was close to the skin or chest wall etc.
kayjo

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center