Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
? return of triple negative breast cancer
An_188638 posted:
I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in Feb 2009, had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation (no lymph nodes involved, but had invaded from the duct to the breast). My mammogram in Feb 2010 was good, no masses noted. My Oncologist wanted one done at 18 months (Aug 2010),this one showed a spot in the upper outer right breast (they, also, did a diagnostic and the spot was still there). They say it looks "benign" and to have a mammogram in a year. What may look benign to them may not actually be and I realize they have years of experience reading these things, but mistakes are made. This is of great concern to me because in a year it could be bigger and invasive (if it is cancer). I have told the doctors that I have been there and done that and I (and my family) are very concerned about this finding. The Radiation Office suggested an MRI since my Mom died of Ovarian Cancer and I had breast cancer; the oncologist says "it is just a way for the docotrs to make more money for their clinic". Am I being a nervous Nellie or should I keep pressing for a further workup? I need someone from the outside to help me with this problem, my friends are telling me to keep pushing the doctors (which I am doing) and to change doctors or see a surgeon. I have a new family physician, my insurance will not allow me to go to a surgeon without a referral and I have a "big" fear of cancer (my mother's family has a large history of cancer deaths). Any advice you can give me would be a big help and maybe give me something to discuss with my doctor when I go in a couple weeks. I feel like I am at my wits end, I try not to dwell on the mass (but I know it is there) and I stay busy as to not think about it. Thanks for your time, Betty L. Parton

Janice_78 responded:
Betty,

I agree with your friends. We have a saying here. "When in doubt, cut it out." This is in no way suggesting that this may be cancer ~ hopefully, it's not. But why have this hanging over your head?

Hugs,

rachael67 responded:
Betty,

I am in full agreement with your friends as well as Janice. Most of us know that the waiting period is one of the worst, and we also are aware that stess can contribute to any illness...The body isn't made to be in a constant fight or flight situation.

I would seek out a good breast care center for a 2nd opinion. There they will be more apt to have access to the most up to date info as well as have access to the best and newest equipment.

Hopefully, soon you will have the needed facts, and will be better able to be comfortable with whatever course you may take.

Please let us know how you are doing. We care!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

lilarky; responded:
10/02/2009 I was diagnosed with TN, Stage 2B, Aggressive Breast Cancer. I found the lump myself. The Mammograms did not show anything due to the density of my breast. An ultra sound and an ultra sound guided biopsy confirmed the diagnosis. With the help of a great surgeon I went with a Bi-lateral Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. During surgery of the 15 Lymph-nodes tested, 2 came back positive. The reason for my decision was because of a lump in the other breast that proved to be nothing a few years back. I am 45 years old and did not want the stress of worrying for the rest of my life. The reconstruction was due to having to wait 14 years for the first set, so I insisted on them being put back. I underwent Chemotherapy from Jan-June and on 9/15/2010 I was deemed Cancer Free (PET scan). This has not been an easy journey, but thinking back I would not have chosen any different. Will there still be a chance of it returning and the implants having to be removed? Of course, but my chances of it returning is less than all the Jane, Susie and Mary('s) walking on this earth. My prayers go out to you and your friends and family. May the medical team be knowledgeable and caring in your future care! Karla

sadblossom responded:
Betty, I echo the rest of the ladies. Find a care team/new doctor that will look into this further. Don't waste time with those 'wait and see' doctors. This is YOUR life and YOU pay THEM to work for YOU. YOU are the boss here. Do what ever you have to to get the attention and the concern you deserve from a care team or a responsible doctor. You should be allowed to request a surgeon to see you. Keep at it until you find a doctor that will point you in the right direction. Your concerns warrant respect.
Let us know.
God Bless !
Pat~sadblossom

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center