Skip to content
Lymphodema infection
cancer47 posted:
I started with minor swelling under my arm 4 days after flying home from vacation. Called my doctor and his nurse was to call back following day with an appointment after she spoke to him. After waiting a week I went to my primary care. I now have swelling in my upper arm, underarm, down my side and 3/4 of my breast. My primary called my surgeon right then and I have an appointment with him in 3 days. She thinks its an infection and not usual lymphodema. The pain is terrible not able to find pain relief and I have lots of prescription choices. Also was put on antibiotics. Why am I seeing the breast surgeon? Although I think he knows more than my onchologist and is a better choice. Anyone else out there had a problem like this before? I had 3 cm stage IIB lyphnode postive did 4 rounds of chemo and 36 rads completed 9/9/10. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

1fernehall responded:
Hi: my last rad. treatment was May l4th. I'm still dealing with lympedema due to slow diagnosis. After much looking around on the 'puter, I went through the Nat'l Cancer Society and they put me onto a website for lympedema; called lymphnet.org It's a safe site, has plenty of info, you may find it helpful. God bless. Let us know how you're doing. Fern

rachael67 replied to 1fernehall's response:
Hey, Fern, how about adding that to our Resources? Seems like a great place to aim folks toward who are dealing with these issues.

Thanks and blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

cancer47 replied to 1fernehall's response:
Do you have much pain or do you have tightness and swelling? What type of treatments for it have worked for you? Thanks for the website they have great info!! Appointment was pushed up to tuesday morning they called today. Hope I can get some answers but not expecting a "quick" cure.

kayjoedwards responded:
One thing you might try for longer term relief is the Lebed Healthy Steps exercise program. It is specifically designed to help improve lymph flow for people with compromised lymphatic systems. I take a class at my local cancer center. You can get more info on their website at http://www.lebedmethod.com/ and see if there is a class near you. Otherwise you might look at YouTube. They have a multipart series on the exercise program. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lebed part&aq=f

Best of luck.
kayjo

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center