Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diagnosis Aniversary
cancer47 posted:
I'm coming up on my one year since I was diagnosed. I feeling confused. What did anyone else do. Its a bit unsettling, even though I've finished all treatments. Getting the news 3 days before christmas, its seems like the holidays were a fog. I recently found my calender for last december and I just looked at the mamo, biopsy and appoinments and thought that's when my life fell apart. I want to feel in control this year. And have a happy holiday!

merjery responded:
I am also coming up on my I year anniversary, as well as my first mammogram since my surgery. Like you , last year's holidays were a blur of tests and doctor visits. I am really hoping this year's holidays will be better and my mammogram will go well, but I don't know. I don't think I will ever feel the same about the holiday season again but I'm going to try. We just have to hang in there.

jenna291 replied to merjery's response:
I was diagnosed 3 years ago just before Xmas - which was my second round of chemo. Hair started falling out the week before the holidays. It was very difficult, but I have found it easier with time - yes, its always there this time of the year, and the tests start again wfhich is scary, but I don't think about it as much in between as I used to. Enjoy family, friends and each day. Life is short - grab it and enjoy as best as possible.

rachael67 replied to jenna291's response:
Many years ago the "Friends" in this community had an on-going discussion regarding an "anniversary date"...Whether to regard the date of diagnosis, surgery, final chemo/rads, or another date as the day being a survivor began and how to spend that day.

As with each patient's situation, each survivor's decision is their own...choose any or all of the dates!

Every agreed that the concern, tho' lessening through the years, is most likely soemthing we each will live with..."Once bured, twice shy"! But the idea of CELEBRATING US is definitely worth of a party! Especailly yoiur FIVE YEAR DATE! (Incidentally, the members most refered to this celebration date as their "CANCERVERSARY")

Being the creative and unique group that we are there were may suggestions as to how each has or will honro the day...Here are a few:

Place a symbolic note inside a helium-filled balloon and send it flying!

A speech at a family gathering declaring yourself "cancer-free"!

Burning all your medical receipts and bills...MAKE COPIES FIRST!!!

Burning your calendar littered with doctor and treatment appointments.

Writing down the myriad of feelings and fears and good and bad days that have filled your cancer journey.

Tie your wig and/or scarf to the balloon and let it fly.

Invite all those who loved and supported you when you most need them to a special party, and acknowledge each.

A ceremonial wig burning!

Have the world's biggest hot fudge sundae!

Since years have passed and membership has changed over that time, perhaps we can add to this list! How about it? Post your additions and let the ball start rolling toward each of our "cancerversaries"!!!

Blessings.
Rachael

Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center