Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arimidex and muscle cramps/pain
sadblossom posted:
Greetings,
I have a question for anyone on Arimidex. I have been on Arimidex for 8 months and am experiencing muscle cramps and pain. Mainly in my legs and mainly in what I have always referred to as my 'weakest' leg. Does anyone know if Arimidex causes muscle cramps or pain/ache? It gets kind of severe at times, considering it is in my legs and effects my walking ability. Does anyone have any info on this?
Thanks so much!
Pat~sadblossom
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Roziee responded:
I have also been on Arimidex for about 8 months and I have experienced leg and foot cramps. As you said it is severe at times. I asked about it at my last visit and was not given a satisfactory answer. I don't have an answer for you, but I being waching this discussion to see if anyone does.
Roz

sadblossom replied to Roziee's response:
Thank you for your reply..............it's good to know that maybe my body isn't just breaking down. These muscle cramps are mainly in the calf of my leg like what we use to refer to as 'charlie horses' EXCEPT it doesn't stop. It is always in the background and waiting to hurt, if that makes any sense. I was beginning to think I had P.A.D. If you receive any more info please pass it on. I hope we get more responses here that will help enlighten us both.
God Bless !
Pat~sadblossom

jenna291 responded:
I have been taking arimidex for 10 months, prior to that tamoxifen for 2 years. No side effects with tamoxifen, but plenty of leg and toe cramping from arimidex. I have been told that taxol (4 infusions that I had) can cause permanent nerve irritability in the feet and hands. It comes and goes for me, but I will say that moving around, particularly getting up from my desk at work several times a day, helps a lot. Keeping the circulation going alleviates a lot of th cramping and pains. I just want to stay still when I'm sore, but this helps a bit. also, massaging my legs helps a bit when they feel achy and heavy. I am part o support group of 8 women, all of us are on arimidex, all of us experience either, leg, toe, knee or hand pain. It is a side effect according to my oncologist and pharmacist that comes with the drug. Have to take it tho as it decreases are odds for recurrence.
Hope this helps a little....

sadblossom replied to jenna291's response:
Thank you so much ! Yes your info did help a great deal. Sometime words from the mouths of others can help us understand our own delimna. My 'cramping' pain is more so when I walk. And like as I said mainly in what I have always called my weakest leg. Makes sense tho that it would hit harder in our weakest parts. It at times even makes me limp. I do keep going tho............I just complain a little more and sometimes get down right angry that the what I assume is the meds I take for the BC has to cause agony in other parts of the body. But.............I will stay on the Arimidex as I had no intentions of not taking it, I just have to figure out an alternate plan for shopping and/ or physical activity. I will admit that at times as odd as it sounds I can manage to 'walk it off'. Just out of no where the pain will stop and I am just left fatiqued. This is really strange. I have started an exercise regiment. When I awake before I leave the bed I do 20 leg lifts while on my back. Then whenever I sit down during the day I do calf and toe stretches, about 10 each leg/foot. I do this off/on all day. And..........I use the heating pad on my calf. This all seems to help a great deal. I appreciate your reply and I am still interested in many more replies if anyone can add ANYTHING to this discussion.
Thanks again!
Pat~sadblossom

rachael67 replied to sadblossom's response:
Pat, I doubt if this would in anyway have a relation to your troubles, but when I was pregnant, I craved ice cream! Would eat it by the gallon! When I told my ob-gyn that I was having leg cramps, he asked about my consumption of dairy. I told him and he suggested I stop. When I did, I had immediate relief.

Now, would this in any way apply to your situation? Doubtful, but for what its worth, I am tossing it in the ring.

blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

sadblossom replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you Rachael. You just never know. I do drink a lot of low fat milk hoping to maintain my good bone density scores. I will cut that back and see if I get any improvement. I drink about 1 1/2 pt. of milk a day and have for years. It has helped my bone density as my scans are perfect but I will be happy to try cutting it back and see what happens.
Thanks again, I appreciate all ideas and suggestions !!
God Bless,
Pat~sadblossom

jenna291 replied to sadblossom's response:
I think the leg pain and cramping is a side effect of the drug we all have to cope with. It strikes when I least expect it, but I do find walking and rubbing my calves a big help. Elevating my legs after a long day also makes them less "heavy". Hopefully some day there is a drug with less side effects, but somedays I just say my prayers and am just happy to be here, pain and all! No one can possibly understand that this drama is never over for those of us who hae been thru breast cancer treatments.
The best to you all!

sadblossom replied to jenna291's response:
Thank you for the reply Jenna. I agree that it may be a small price to pay for life. You would just think there would be something that could be done to make the side effects a bit easier, But then again, what part of breast cancer is easy.
Thanks again and God Bless!
Pat~sadblossom

cancer47 replied to sadblossom's response:
I have read your input and I will be starting arimidex in a few weeks. I have seen the side effects reported here before and did not want to take this medication. But I decided to try it and see what happens. Everyone's body responds differently. How long after you started did the leg pains start? And do you take any over the counter medication for the pain?

sadblossom replied to cancer47's response:
Hello and thank you for the reply.....................the only side effects I had for 7 months were lots of mini hot flashes/not such a problem tho and added fatique which was worsened sense I have chronic fatique syndrome anyway. The leg cramps started about 7 months out of starting the drug. Please understand tho, I would not opt out of taking it just because of this leg pain or any of the side effects I have encountered thus far. The benefits still out way the side effects. I was just wanting answers here and ideas from other users that might work for me. I have not taken any over the counter drugs as I stay away from as many drugs as I can. I take a lot of meds for other health issues and I am trying to keep my liver as clean/clear as possible.HOWEVER........I will take Tylenol if it gets to that point that I need a med. I do find other ways of coping with my discomfort. I handle it all much better as long as I know what is going on. I also have RA and Fybroidmyalgia so my body pain is going to act up side effects or not.This was just a new one. Please stay with your plan of taking this med. It is a good drug and can save your life. You may not experience any side effects at all. Don't be afraid of it. I was. It sit on the shelf for 2 months before I built up enough courage to start taking it. Some women have no side effects at all. I just had some health issues going in which we knew would not help my situation anyway. Let us know how you do on it.
God Bless,
Pat~sadblossom

flsurferzmom replied to sadblossom's response:
I am having the same issues with Arimidex and my onc. suggested I take a 2 week break, so I'm on day one. It has effected my sleep so much that I feel I have no other option.
Last night I took 2 tylenol pm, no relief. Then 5 mg of ambien, slept about 2 hours. Then when it felt like restless leg syndrome I took a zanax, no relief. I toss and turn trying to find a comfortable position, but no luck. I had given up coffee after discovering I had bc, but decided a cup was just what I needed, and guess what???? You got it, the pain went away. Coincidence? maybe. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
Good luck to all of you. and God bless.

sadblossom replied to flsurferzmom's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. You're post was very interesting. I am not a big coffee drinker but ya know what.........I believe I will put that ground Starbuck's in my pantry to good use and see if I can get some relief myself.I have had the Restless leg syndrom for many years and yes, it has worsened and does affect my sleep. That coupled with the leg/muscle pain makes for an uncomfortable night. I take Xanax every night and have for years but that doesn't even curve the discomfort/restlessness. Thanks for the info and please add more anytime. I can use all the advice and words of wisdom that I can get and I'm sure others can as well.
Thank you and God Bless!
Pat~sadblossom

jenna291 replied to sadblossom's response:
Hello ladies,

I find pain comes when I least expect it. It is quite random and I can never predict it. For instance, I was busy yesterday doing a lot of running around, and when I got up this morning my legs were throbbing for at least an hour before I started moving again. I don't like taking a lot of over the counter meds, so I usually try to be patient until the pain subsides a bit. I do have coffee every morning, don't know if it helps with leg pain, but it sure wakes me up!!! Can't give that up.
It i too bad the medication has so many side effect, but I feel for the most part they are managable. As you say, what part of breast cancer is easy? I would rather have the insurance of staying on the drug than going off. I will be scared to go off it, which will probably be in about another 1 1/2 years.
Good luck to all. Hope everyone feels wonderful thru the holidays and forgets, even for just a little while, just how much we've all been thru!!! Here's to life!!!! xo

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center