Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wandering Tumor Cells Predict Poor Outcome
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
In a recent study it was found that women with metastatic breast cancer who have no wandering tumor cells circulating in their blood after the first round of treatment live longer than those who do, French researchers report. The study also suggests CTCs can be used to monitor whether a woman is responding to treatment.

Why It Matters: Circulating tumor cells, or CTCs, are cells that break off from a tumor and escape into the bloodstream. They can travel to other organs and establish new tumors. Several studies have shown that higher levels of CTCs are associated with an increased for recurrence and death in metastatic breast cancer patients.

Read the full article here...

Do you have any experience with CTC's, or do you know someone who does? Please share what you've been through and seen.

How do you feel these new findings will affect future Breast Cancer research?

missedit responded:
I have had a couple CTCs but not recently. They were at 1 and then 0. My onc has not had me have one in several months. They are rather expensive and diagnostically they were not really helpful in the diagnostic process. But I will take the lower rate of recurrence if it holds true!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to missedit's response:
Hi Missedit,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm holding those same positive thoughts for you, too!

Andie

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center