Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What questions to ask?
KimBliss posted:
I was diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago. While my doctor was as gentle as possible in informing me, she only said it's very early and treatment should remove all of the cells. I had a MRI and PET scan since. So now that I am doing research on diagnosis and treatments I realize there are Stages. My doctors assistant called me today and said my PET scan was good and did not detect any cancer cells in my body and that the MRI detected more cells in another region of my breast. (isn't this a contradiction?)I am meeting with my doctor next week and need to know what questions to ask. Help....

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kim,

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. You've found a community of very supportive members that will be here for you every step of the way.

WebMD has a few articles on questions to ask your doctor, so I'll list links to them below:

Some of the questions are nearly the same, so you can pick & choose. I'm sure the community will be chiming in soon with their experienced suggestions too!

Andie

rachael67 responded:
Kim,
I am unclear as to whether you have had a biopsy as yet. Without one it is impossible to diagnosis a malignacy or to rule one out.

Each test (mammograms, ultrasounds, PET scans and MRIs) are useful for different reasons. Some can get a clearer image especially of dense breast tissue. The MRI is best in many ways. But it still is necessary to have that biopsy.

You have been given a good beginning place for questions to ask your doctor. Research reliable sites on the internet, and put together a list of questions to ask of your physician. Make sure you understand what is said. (It is always a good idea to bring a friend or a tape recorder to review the information.)

You will be in our thoughts. Please let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center