Skip to content
Eye Problems?
JLAMB26 posted:
Has anyone every experienced sore, swollen eyes as a side effect from chemo? I'm well into my treatment and the symptoms started last week.

judyfams responded:
I didn't experience that, but my eyes hurt horribly and the pain was so severe one morning that I went to my opthalomogist who diagnosed it as severe dry eye which can happen as a result of chemo.

I never knew that dry eye could be soooo painful, but he gave me eye drops to put in very frequently and that did clear up.

So I would check with an opthalomologist. While the eye drops were not prescription he did recommend a specific OTC brand which was more expensive then the other run of the mill eye drops. In fact one wa in a tube and looked like vaseline that I had to put in PM only and the other was a liquid that i put in many times during the day. I think the brand name was Gen Tel or something like that.

Good luck,
Judy

jenna291 responded:
Hi, yes I had very sore eyes during chemo. I believe for me it was the loss of eye lashes which usually protect the eyes that caused the problem. I found that cool cucumber slices helped, and when I was out and about sunglasses were always on me. Once my eyelashes came back, which took about 4 months after chemo, my eyes felt much better, although they do get more sore and tired than before treatment. I try and close them for 10 minutes each afternoon whenever possible!

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center