Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
kathywithhope
kathywithhope posted:
Hi folks I am a new user to this site and have recently had a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed .My oncologist wants me to start chemo soon using TACx6.I am very frightened as she told us this was a very strong dosage.If any of you have had an experience with this and have some tips for me to withstand this treatment we would be so grateful .Thankyou Kathywithhope

judyfams responded:
I did not have a mastectomy and I'm not sure what TAC chemo is - but I had 6 rounds of chemo that was a combination of taxotere and cytoxan which I just finished in September 2010.

I made specific changes in my diet and eating habits which I think made a difference especially since I was 67 years old when I started my chemo.

I drank lots and lots of water all the time. I ate 6 or more small meals that included organic fruits and vegetables, lean protein like chicken, turkey and greek yogurt. For the times when I needed a quick snack or pick me up I had Ensure in my fridge and would drink one of those. I did not eat any fried or fatty or fast food either. I will say I did eat lots of homemade soups too, some of which I made before I started my chemo and froze into individual portions.

I also made sure that I planned ahead for my chemo - I tracked my bad days and found that they started the day after chemo and lasted 3 more days. So I made sure that all shopping, cooking. laundry etc. were done before I started chemo and had enough books and videos to allow me to stay home and completely rest whenever I needed to for those few days. Those were the days I had friends and family help me if I needed it.

I listened to my body when it told me to stop and rest - chores can and will wait - you need to focus solely on your recuperation from the chemo treatments and allow yourself time to stop everything and rest. I obviously was not working or had children at home, but if you have to work or have children at home, then my advice to you would be the following: PLAN AHEAD - during your first chemo keep track of which day or days you feel worse and make sure you do everything to leave those days open for you to rest.

Put yourself first while you are on chemo and try to envision the chemo eating those cancer cells (like the Pacman game) while you are getting the chemo treatments. Since you have to have chemo, you will do better if you think of chemo as a positive in fighting your cancer rather than something horrible that is being done to you.

I wish you good luck and want you to know that my prayers are with you. You are a strong lady and have great courage and you are to be commended for coming here and asking for help. Please let us know how you are doing during your chemo treatments

Sincerely,
Judy

JLAMB26 responded:
I had a mastectomy and all my lymph nodes removed back in September . I started TACx6 in October also. You are correct that this is a more aggressive form of treatment. It most likely has more to do with your tumor type, I believe. I am E & P negative and HER2 postive. My Oncologist told me that he would give me as much as I could handle for the best chance of recovery. After two doses at the highest level, he did adjust it to a more management dose since I wasn't handling it very well. While it hasn't been a walk in the park, I have been able to continue to work aside from reduced hours the weeks of chemo. (I also have a 7 month old baby and a 4 year old). My advise to is to keep an open dialoge with your oncologist about how you and feeling/doing and instist that you see your lab blood work results each time so that you understand how the chemo is affecting you. They will work with you to get you through this. Also, get plenty of rest and make sure to drink lots and lots of fluids. That is what helped me the most. I just had my fith round yesterday so only one more to go. It's normal to be frightened but this too shall pass and before you know it, it will be over.

kathywithhope replied to judyfams's response:
Dear Judy Thank you for your advice .I love the idea of chemo pac men eating up the bad guys .I am so grateful that you suggested that I think of this chemo as a positive thing I think I have been thinking of it as a horrible thing that may kill me in the process. For now on, may God and chemo be my armour against this disease and the support from such thoughtful folks as yourself. God Bless You ,Kathy

kathywithhope replied to JLAMB26's response:
Thank you for your advice .I am so grateful for you help in calming my fears. I will put you on my prayer list as you continue with your treatments .I have been told that this plight will make me stronger and already it has .May God Bless You ,Kathy

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center