Skip to content
new cancer patient
cbcancerfight posted:
Hello, I am a new breast cancer patient. I had my first chemo treatment one week ago and am due for my 2nd one next week. All the nurses and doctors say that you will develop a new "normal" and that you will discover what that is and accept it. But I don't know what that is yet. My side effects have not been that bad yet. No sickness, no nausea, the main thing I have experieenced is severe back pain from the Neulasta shots that last about 2 days after the shot. I have decreased in my eating but I have discovered, though, that I have to eat like crazy when I am hungry because that hunger may change to lack of hunger in as little as an hour. I have not lost my hair yet--anyone know how long that takes? Am kindof anxious to get that part over with. I am also feeling kindof "weak" in my hip joints-anyone have that too? Also anyone have any info on white blood counts--my doctor said mine were way low and to avoid the public.
I appreaciate any suggestions/comments--any info is helpful at this point. Thanks in adavance and good luck to those of you fighting this disease!
cbcancerfight

rachael67 responded:
Though I cannot give you any suggestions regarding chemo as I did not have that, I did want to welcome you to the community.

The one thing I can say is that a frequent suggestion made to those beginning chemo is to drink lots and lots of water. It helps flush the toxins out.

And pamerper yourself...Listen to your body and rest when it tells you to do so.

Please let us know how your journey is going.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

ramsey609 replied to rachael67's response:
Hi Rachel67, I'm just curious on your response. You said you did not do chemo, so what prevention are you doing right now. I had my massive radical mastectomy but did not do chemo nor radiation. All my surgical margins are clear and the 22 lymphnodes removed were clear too. Thanks. Ramsey609

rachael67 replied to ramsey609's response:
I was diagnosed with DCIS in 2003. I had a lumpectomy followed by 35 rounds of radiation. I opted not to take any of the anti-hormone meds as I considered the risks greater than the benefits FOR ME! (As much of the treatment plans we choose, it is very indiividual.) Hopefully, I made a wise decision. Time will tell.

Glad to hear you got the all-clear! May all your future days be filled with blue skies and sunshine!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Doris042 responded:
Hello, cbcancerfight I am new to this site however I already went through my treatment I had stage 3A and sounds like your treatment is close to what I had to the question of a new normal yes you will figure that out when the time goes on dont push your self to do what your use to , if you feel like you can not do something then dont save energy for what is important to you for that day. I did not have sickness either I got hungry , LOL but that is from the chemo and will increase as each treatment I had to go on prilocect as time went on I had alot of bloating, the pain from the Neulasta shot is neuropathy thats because the shot causes your white cell count to go up your white cell helps to fight colds ect. Here is my email address if you want to know more cause I am already out of room. LOL " sorry " Day_Dreamer_10@yahoo.com in my thoughts and prayers ! Doris

cancer47 responded:
Hi

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I had 4 chemo's and 35 rads plus full hysterectomy last year. New normal is what life is but you make it the way you feel is best for you. And new normal is everyday for the rest of your life. It means we don't take anything for granted. Life is not as carefree as before. You have had a terrible thing happen to you. You have chemo and feel ill and maybe don't do too much for a few days and then if you do feel better your bloodcounts go low and they tell you to not go out too much. If you have to go to a store with a shopping cart you really don't need to go there and church don't shake people's hands or miss. this week all together. God will understand:) Doctors would tell me I was too angry and try to take each day as it came. It was not until 1 year later that treatment ended and my mamo was clear and bloodwork was good that I put this all behind me. But none of us forget the day we got the bad news and this friday it is the day 1 year ago I had my first chemo. I'm sorry that in the next few weeks your hair will fall out its not easy for any of us to be bald. Almost 12 days the hair starts coming out, have you ordered a wig yet?? It's too cold for only a hat.
If you feel like pouring out your heart I hope you have someone you can trust that will let you have a shoulder to cry on and tell you no this is not fair for you or anyone to go thru. Make sure you get good pain medication for those bone and joint pains can get worse. You need not suffer thru anything more than you have to. Try talking with the nurse's who do the chemo treatments they are wonderful...........they know more than the doctors.
Things is some respect things will get worse before they get better. I was lucky that my husband went with me to my treatments. Afterwards we went to lunch and a trip to the "Coach Outlet" for whatever I wanted. I now hope that I will only go there with girlfriends for fun and not after any treatment. I only mean treat YOURSELF to something you deserve it! Buy flowers eat a whole chocolate cake whatever...
This cancer is about you----do whatever you need to do to get thru what seems like a huge mountain in front of you. Make the climb one step at a time.
Take care

tlcmc3 replied to cancer47's response:
Your an strong and amazing woman,I just lost my mother to cancer and my older sister was just diagnosed and my dearest friend closer than a sister was just diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer ..Thank you for sharing !

Peg1258 responded:
I started chemo in august 2010, TAC , all chemo is different what is your poision? i did feel nausea but had pills for it, i was very tired, and the sho neulasta made my legs hurt for days. my counts were low too and the doctor reduced the dosage by 20%, next time they were better, i would avoid crowds anyway. there is so much going around and your immune system has been compromised. how many treatments do you get, i had 6 cycles 1 every 3 weeks, by the time i felt "normal" it was back to chemo again. drink, drink, drink it does help flush out the toxins. i wish you well. do you need radiation? i just finished that in january

peggy

cbcancerfight replied to Doris042's response:
Thank you for sharing some of your story. You said you went thru your treatment already-so are you done then? I never did find out my stage of cancer but from what I have been told and what I have read I am close to a stage 2 or 3 but not really sure. I guess I need to just come out and ask my doctor. I have had a few good days because I am on the 2nd week after chemo and getting ready to go again in two days. I just hope I did not have "beginner;s luck" because looking back my symptoms were all that bad--about 2 days of aches and about 4 days of not wanting to eat anything. Some say it gets worse, some say it stays the same. That makes me nervous. I am just trying to keep in mind that I have 3 more bad treatments then I go for the not so bad ones (4 of them too). Will talk to you all after Friday when I get my next treatment. Toodles, everyone!!

Doris042 replied to cbcancerfight's response:
cbcancerfight, Here is just something to keep in your mind , the treatment is for a couple of weeks so try not to keep up with things the way you use to, surrender to what your body tells you if you fight it, it makes it worse emotionally and please do not dwell on what is negative find the positive and whats funny. You should ask your Dr. what stage that way when you do research you know what applies to you. as treatment goes on you may get more tired but I promise you you get through it . I know everyone is different but here is just a couple of things I delt with just so you have a little insight , Tired , bloating , gas and hair loss I dont know if anyone spoke to you about the hair but you take control , what I did is cut the rest of mine off one cause it was getting all over but I chose when all of it was off it gave me a little satisfaction because I chose when , In my prayers !!

cancer47 replied to Doris042's response:
Hi
Yes you do have to kind of take charge over your hair loss. I had mine cut short but when it was really falling out I shaved my head. The place where I got my wig said they shave people's heads all the time. I chose not to do it there I felt ashammed I guess. Didn't want anyone to see me like that. I shaved it the night before I went for 2nd chemo. I did do it at midnight. So I woke my husband up and told him he said "that's nice" and right back to sleep. Thinking back maybe I should have just given him "shock" when he woke up the next morning. And you feel more in control when you can do something yourself. Because right now things to be whirling!! all around you.

cindy12345678 responded:
Hi! I was diagnosed July of 2010. I am through chemo. How fast you lose your hair depends on what they are giving you. I started on taxol/heceptin(I had two different types of cancer)and my hair fell out slowly. It took about 2 mos. Then the adrimycin/cytoxin. I lost my eyelashes and eyebrows. I wasn't sick at all with the first chemo, just tired sometimes. I was nauseated with the second and stomach upset. They gave me all the nausea med. It was hard to eat sometimes. I would try to keep myself on an eating shechdule. I am small so I was worried about losing weight. I lost about 8lbs. They told me if you don't want to eat something drink something.I finished chemo in Jan. I just had surgury(bi-lateral mastectomy)I may have to have radiation they are not sure yet find out in March.
I had one positive lymph node.But I am cancer free at the moment. The hair loss was hard for me. You have to do what feels right for you. I had long hair they sugested cutting it. So I did. That helped . then mine fell out from there. I wear wigs when I am out at the store etc. My hair is just starting to grow back. The neulasta made me sick and my arms hurt.But it's necessary. My doctor doesn't like to talk about stages . I exercised on my exercise bike . that helped with fatigue. Even if it was only 5min.I hope you will be cancer free soon. You can do it .Just remember that chemo is not forever!
Cindy

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center