Skip to content
Breast reconstruction
Ann17901 posted:
Can someone help me with fear of breast reconstruction
Thanks
Ann17901

Doris042 responded:
Hello Ann I am going through the reconstruct now I had an implant in but because I had radiation done before the reconstruct my incision did not heal so we opt to have it out and do a tram flap thats where they take from your belly , and after 3 kids I have enough to do that, LOL...... I had some fear but I have a great team and that is the key, they make sure your not in pain best wishes and keep us up to date how you are making out ... In my prayers !! Doris

isuppose responded:
hi ann,

i had a bi-lateral mastectomy in 2007 and was diagnosed a second time so, just had a lat-flap on the left side a week ago. it can be stressfull at times, but mostly just thankful the doctors are able to remove the cancer and get clean margins. i'm an expert. any particular questions? or just in general?

HKBK

kayjoedwards responded:
I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in 2009. I had expanders in for a month and a half and then had silicone implants put in. I can say that for me there were no complications and everything went quickly and smoothly. I had no pain, just some discomfort. I am very happy with the results. I didn't think about it at the time but I realize now that every morning when I look in the mirror I'm glad that I had it done and can look at a normal person in the mirror.
Try to talk to some people who have had it done. I highly recommend the Am. Cancer Society's Reach to Recovery program where you can be matched up with someone on the phone and talk to a woman who had a similar situation to yours. You can talk about her decision process and how she feels now. Find the phone number at http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/SupportProgramsServices/reach-to-recovery
Best of luck.
kayjo

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center